Forum Home Forum Home - Diaper Discussions - Introduction to Cloth Diapering
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Forum Posting Policy | Forum Codes | Our Advertisers | Sales & Announcements | Member Groups | P'insane Leaderboard | Contact Admin

Moderator: txmom
Remember to Support our Advertisers!

Diaper Reviews | Cloth diaper calculator | Diaper Articles | Books * DVDs * CDs * etc

prepping prefolds?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Bectoria View Drop Down
Pincorporated
Pincorporated

Member Rating(10)

Perennial Pinner
9 years 47 days

Post Options Post Options   Quote Bectoria Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: prepping prefolds?
    Posted: 16 Feb 2012 at 10:11am
Ok, so I just got a new PF.  It's a nice organic cotton one - very nice and all, but I only got one.  So I'm trying to prep it using the boiling method.  IDK what I'm doing (clearly LOL) but I boiled it for 15 minutes then washed and dried it.  It's not all quilty and soft like it should be.  At all.  Did I miss a step?  Do I need to do this a few times over? 

Becky
SAHM to DD1 (9), DD2 (7), and DD3 (3)
Sponsored Links

lflips View Drop Down
P'infatuated
P'infatuated

Member Rating(2)

Perennial Pinner
4 years 266 days

Post Options Post Options   Quote lflips Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Feb 2012 at 10:20am
I always used the boiling method with my pfs but I boiled them for at least 30 mins and still washed them like 5-6 times in the washing machine. Maybe you could just throw it in with your regular diaper laundry a few times? 
Tamryn :

Mama to dd Eden and a new baby coming sometime in early March
Bectoria View Drop Down
Pincorporated
Pincorporated

Member Rating(10)

Perennial Pinner
9 years 47 days

Post Options Post Options   Quote Bectoria Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Feb 2012 at 10:26am
ok, so it doesn't really replace washing/drying?  what's the point in boiling then?
Becky
zsoka View Drop Down
P'invisible
P'invisible

Post Options Post Options   Quote zsoka Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Feb 2012 at 10:35am
I was actually just about to ask why do you need to boil them?  I am new to cloth so I am trying to get as much info as possible.  Big smile

Lis
Bectoria View Drop Down
Pincorporated
Pincorporated

Member Rating(10)

Perennial Pinner
9 years 47 days

Post Options Post Options   Quote Bectoria Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Feb 2012 at 10:51am
I thought that if you boiled them, you could skip a few of the washing steps.  IDK really.   I've never done it before...I've just washed/dried them 5 times in the past.  I know you have to wash and dry them for each step.  and you have to use detergent for the first few washes ,for sure.
Becky
Clare_S View Drop Down
P'incredible
P'incredible

Member Rating(35)

Perennial Pinner
3 years 27 days

Post Options Post Options   Quote Clare_S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Feb 2012 at 11:06am
Did you use any Dawn or anything? I boil for 15 minutes with a squirt of Dawn and then do enough washes to fully get them rinsed. I'll dry them once and call it good. They have always been ready to go. Not sure what happened with yours?
Happily married to Nathan and mama to DD (5), DS (3), and a baby boy coming in May.
Bectoria View Drop Down
Pincorporated
Pincorporated

Member Rating(10)

Perennial Pinner
9 years 47 days

Post Options Post Options   Quote Bectoria Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Feb 2012 at 12:34pm
Yeah, I kinda thought that Dawn woulda been a good idea while I was dumping out the water after boiling it.   ok, I'll try a second boil WITH Dawn and rewash.
Becky
Clare_S View Drop Down
P'incredible
P'incredible

Member Rating(35)

Perennial Pinner
3 years 27 days

Post Options Post Options   Quote Clare_S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Feb 2012 at 2:08pm
Sounds like Dawn was the missing ingredient. Sorry you have to do it again, but at least it is only 1 PF.
Happily married to Nathan and mama to DD (5), DS (3), and a baby boy coming in May.
musicmama View Drop Down
P'inspector
P'inspector

Member Rating(4)

Perennial Pinner
6 years 63 days

Post Options Post Options   Quote musicmama Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Feb 2012 at 2:58pm
Boiling definitely skips a bunch of steps.  I boil w/ a tiny squirt of Dawn, then wash in the machine once (in your case I'd do it w/ some towels or other laundry), then dry in the dryer.  It may not be absolute peak performance, but it's definitely usable on the bum.

ETA: I just want the Dawn to break the surface tension.  I don't want bubbles or a detergent effect.  Washing w/ detergent a single time before it goes on the bum is supposed to do that.

Edited by musicmama - 16 Feb 2012 at 2:59pm
Christine
DS1-G (1/06), DS2-D (1/08), DS3-S (4-10) giada md
3boysMom View Drop Down
P'infamous
P'infamous

Post Options Post Options   Quote 3boysMom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Feb 2012 at 3:04pm
Hmn I smell a new DP tutorial with pictures, lol.
Samantha, Captain of Chaos a href="https://www.etsy.com/shop/TurkandBean" target="_blank" rel="nofollow">Turk & Bean
k
megfrsyh View Drop Down
P'invisible
P'invisible

Post Options Post Options   Quote megfrsyh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Feb 2012 at 3:56pm

I wonder why that didn't work.  I prepped all my unbleached prefolds and flats by boiling (with nothing added) for twenty minutes, followed up with a single hot wash, and then dried in the dryer.  They were quilty and absorbent enough after that.  I wonder if it is the specific brand. 

Married to Lucas
Mum to Xander (3) and Luther (1) giada md
vansen19 View Drop Down
P'inductee
P'inductee

Post Options Post Options   Quote vansen19 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Mar 2012 at 8:37pm
organics sometimes take up to 8 washes to be fully prepped. but there is a difference in quiltiness between indian and chinese PFs.
DIYmom View Drop Down
P'invisible
P'invisible

Post Options Post Options   Quote DIYmom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2012 at 5:08pm
Yes there should be a tutorial on initial prep!

I am boiling my UBIP (I still don't know if I have the acronyms right... Unbleached indian cotton prefolds)right now and I don't have any dawn. They aren't organic, just unbleached and I'm going to put them in my HE washer with 1/8th cup country save detergent (that I will have dissolved in some warm water and add to the detergent receptacle) on a hot cycle with an extra rinse and then dry them in the dryer on medium heat...
is this ok?
 Post Reply Post Reply