Forum Home Forum Home - P'interests and Hobbies - Books and Entertainment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Forum Posting Policy | Forum Codes | Our Advertisers | Sales & Announcements | Member Groups | P'insane Leaderboard | Contact Admin

Moderator: Sarah2106
Remember to Support our Advertisers!

Diaper Reviews | Cloth diaper calculator | Diaper Articles | Children's Movies

One for the Money

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
taowensf View Drop Down
P'inspector
P'inspector

Member Rating(160)

Perennial Pinner
9 years 154 days

Post Options Post Options   Quote taowensf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: One for the Money
    Posted: 08 Feb 2012 at 11:11pm
Anyone else read Janet Evanovich's series? I just saw this movie tonight--not bad! I was sure it would be terrible--I would *never* have picked Katherine Heigl for the role and thought the main guy was going to be ICK (he has that face--I feel like I've seen him in things and he's just been a jerk), but it turned out decent. I think there is a good chance that it will get even better with future installments in the series. Here's hoping!

Also, it may have been my seriously low expectations that made it even better than it was, but still worth the time!
~Tess~
Sponsored Links

Starfish03 View Drop Down
P'integral
P'integral

Member Rating(4)

Perennial Pinner
9 years 311 days

Post Options Post Options   Quote Starfish03 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Feb 2012 at 10:28am
I loved the series.  I haven't read past 12 ish, but they make great summer beach reading.  I was wondering how the movie would turn out - I agree, it's not how I imagined it visually.  I was really afraid that the movie would be terrible - I mean, how do you carry those books out well in the movies??  Of course, I rarely like movies after I read the books.

I have read some of Evanovich's other stuff and I don't like it - I don't know what it is about this series or this character, but it always makes me LOL.  I think she probably needs to update One for the Money now that it's a movie though - the book is quite dated.
Jan - Mama to 3 Wild Boys (8/5/4)
P'integral
P'integral

Member Rating(4)

Perennial Pinner
9 years 311 days

Post Options Post Options   Quote Starfish03 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Feb 2012 at 10:28am
oh, and i haven't seen the movie, but now i want to.  of course, i don't see anything until it comes out on dvd ....
catadese View Drop Down
Pincorporated
Pincorporated

Member Rating(8)

Perennial Pinner
10 years 10 days

Post Options Post Options   Quote catadese Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Feb 2012 at 10:47am
I like her "One for the Money" series.  They're a simple, fun read.  Didn't even know they were making a movie.  I'll have to watch for it on Redbox.
Mama to 9- 6 boys and 3 girls
mamma22boys View Drop Down
P'infamous
P'infamous

Member Rating(40)

P'insane

Perennial Pinner
4 years 81 days

Post Options Post Options   Quote mamma22boys Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Feb 2012 at 10:49am
I really like the book series.  Easy read, funny. 

Haven't decided about the movie yet.  I will probably wait until it is in redbox.
Emily Wife to Jake
Mom to Joseph 2/07 & Jordan 5/09 and 1 little girl Audrey 9/12
Probably NAK-- so please excuse the typos.
diaperpin-jen View Drop Down
Pincorporated
Pincorporated

Member Rating(6)

Perennial Pinner
14 years 171 days

Post Options Post Options   Quote diaperpin-jen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Feb 2012 at 11:26am
Hmm... I need some new books to read. I will check this series out.... I haven't heard of the movie either! Chick flicks are always good...
Creator of the Pin and Proud mama of 2!

Check out our new blog - The Corner! iv class
taowensf View Drop Down
P'inspector
P'inspector

Member Rating(160)

Perennial Pinner
9 years 154 days

Post Options Post Options   Quote taowensf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Feb 2012 at 12:10pm
Originally posted by Starfish03 Starfish03 wrote:

I loved the series.  I haven't read past 12 ish, but they make great summer beach reading.  I was wondering how the movie would turn out - I agree, it's not how I imagined it visually.  I was really afraid that the movie would be terrible - I mean, how do you carry those books out well in the movies??  Of course, I rarely like movies after I read the books.

I have read some of Evanovich's other stuff and I don't like it - I don't know what it is about this series or this character, but it always makes me LOL.  I think she probably needs to update One for the Money now that it's a movie though - the book is quite dated.

Did you read the ones with the Alex character and the race car driver? I truly LOVED that brief series (maybe 2 or 3 books?) and wished she'd write more--I thought the characters were a little more complex and interesting.

I do love the number series though because of the lightness and easiness of the reads. And she's pretty good at keeping the Morelli/Ranger tension going, though the books get pretty formulaic after a while.
~Tess~
P'integral
P'integral

Member Rating(4)

Perennial Pinner
9 years 311 days

Post Options Post Options   Quote Starfish03 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Feb 2012 at 1:33pm
I did read that series - it was more like the number series and I did like it.  The ones she wrote with others and her older ones were just too ... i don't know, silly, trite, reaching .... it just didn't capture what made the others fun to read.

I took a break but I think I am ready to dive back in this summer.  I don't know how many times I lol'd while reading on the beach and all my friends would just look at me like I was nuts!
P'integral
P'integral

Member Rating(4)

Perennial Pinner
9 years 311 days

Post Options Post Options   Quote Starfish03 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Feb 2012 at 1:36pm
Jen - the first one or two are pretty dated, but a good read.  You'll see references to things like bag phones for the car and neon spandex and so on.  If you can get past that, the books are an enjoyable series.  They are both funny and suspenseful. 
litlmslana View Drop Down
P'invisible
P'invisible

Member Rating(24)

Perennial Pinner
6 years 316 days

Post Options Post Options   Quote litlmslana Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Feb 2012 at 5:12pm
I was wondering about the movie.  I didn't see Katherine Heigle as fitting the character, but I'm glad it turned out ok.  I'll probably catch it on DVD.

I'm actually reading the 16th book now.  I haven't read anything this light in a while and I'm happy to be chuckling.  The one liners Lula says about her diets crack me up.  Was she funny in the movie? 

I really liked that car series too...and it was much too short.
Lana
taowensf View Drop Down
P'inspector
P'inspector

Member Rating(160)

Perennial Pinner
9 years 154 days

Post Options Post Options   Quote taowensf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Feb 2012 at 9:07pm
Jan, I think I know the ones you mean--her earlier more pure romance type stuff. Yeah, pretty craptastic stuff.

Lana, I really like the actress playing Lula--I feel like she can only get better! There wasn't a lot of her in this first one, but it was pretty good. Not as edgy as I'd figure, but still decent.

I'm trying to get out more often and do stuff for me, so paying regular price for a movie is definitely worth it! Plus, I got to see a friend and her new baby, and we had ice cream beforehand. Pig

I'm interested in other good movies too, if I'm going to make this a more regular thing. Most of the previews just look like so much total crap that it might be awhile before I get back to another movie. Tongue
~Tess~
litlmslana View Drop Down
P'invisible
P'invisible

Member Rating(24)

Perennial Pinner
6 years 316 days

Post Options Post Options   Quote litlmslana Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Feb 2012 at 9:25pm
Yeah.  Before DS was born, DH and I were movieholics.  We would go to the theater at least once a week.  Sometimes three times.  It's one of my favorite things to do.  It's hard for us both to go, but I keep saying "I'm going to go see this movie by myself because I want to see it".  And then its a month later and I still haven't gone to see anything.  I should make myself go...because for me its the being in the theater (and eating the popcorn).  I don't mind being by myself at all.  Good for you for doing something for yourself. Thumbs Up

ETA:  This movie may be the perfect opportunity...because I'm never going to get DH to sit through it. Tongue

Edited by litlmslana - 09 Feb 2012 at 9:26pm
Lana
taowensf View Drop Down
P'inspector
P'inspector

Member Rating(160)

Perennial Pinner
9 years 154 days

Post Options Post Options   Quote taowensf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Feb 2012 at 11:04pm
I agree--in fact, that was my inspiration to start seeing movies (I love seeing them alone) and I knew dh wouldn't want to see this one. I just *had* to go and see if any friends wanted to see it as well, and this one did. That's okay though, it was fun.

And I have never been able to bring myself to buy popcorn or drinks at the movies (unless they have a super cheapie special). Blush After dh and I were married, he'd always want to get them. I finally made him make popcorn at home before the movie and eat it and drink a coke (purchased at the store, of course!) on the way. LOL
~Tess~
 Post Reply Post Reply