Forum Home Forum Home - Diaper Discussions - Bubble Bubble Toil & Trouble
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Forum Posting Policy | Forum Codes | Our Advertisers | Sales & Announcements | Member Groups | P'insane Leaderboard | Contact Admin

Moderator: musicmama
Remember to Support our Advertisers!

Diaper Reviews | Cloth diaper calculator | Diaper Articles | Books * DVDs * CDs * etc

aio issues

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
elus0814 View Drop Down
P'incredible
P'incredible

Member Rating(5)

Perennial Pinner
5 years 197 days

Post Options Post Options   Quote elus0814 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: aio issues
    Posted: 08 Feb 2012 at 1:51pm
I think I've finally found the cause of DS2's rashes - our aios. All our aios are bg elementals and it's what he wears 95% of the time. They've been working great and are the only diapers besides prefolds and flats that fit right now (it's a hassle to get the prefolds or flats on him).

The aios stink of ammonia if he wears them longer than an hour. The interesting thing is that it's only his. The elementals we have that are adjusted for DD2 don't smell, even if she naps in them, but she doesn't wear them as often. I think if it was just that his pee is smellier then the prefolds would have a similar smell but they don't. 

Any idea what the problem is? Are the aios not getting clean enough? (we have a fl washer but I always do warm rinses until there are no more bubbles) Should they be stripped or won't it matter? 

I have them washing right now in the top loader here where we're staying. There are a some bubbles but not a lot, I'm not sure if the bubbles are from build up in the machine or from the diapers. I'm just running hot wash cycles over and over. 
Wife to my Air Force husband and SAHM to DD 9/04, DS 12/05, DS 3/09, DD 9/10, DD 2/12, and DS 9/13
Sponsored Links

mttav View Drop Down
P'infamous
P'infamous

Member Rating(62)

Perennial Pinner
6 years 126 days

Post Options Post Options   Quote mttav Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Feb 2012 at 2:14pm
Hmmm... what's your wash routine?
Mom to T (8), M (6), S (3), and X (tiny) and wife to my BFF.

elus0814 View Drop Down
P'incredible
P'incredible

Member Rating(5)

Perennial Pinner
5 years 197 days

Post Options Post Options   Quote elus0814 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Feb 2012 at 3:48pm
A normal wash routine at home is:

cold/cold delicate (extra water) cycle with a dozen or two sprays of bac out around the tub

hot wash with hot soak, 1/4 oz of allen's naturally liquid (this is the amount that is recommend for regular clothes in a front loader, I use it on diapers because when I use 1/8 oz as is recommended for diapers they come out smelly)

warm rinse

warm/warm delicate cycles with extra rinses until all the bubbles are gone; each cycle is three water changes and it's usually 3-4 cycles (9-12 water changes)

I'm wondering if maybe aios just plain can't get clean enough in a front loader. We don't have any problems with any of the other diapers. I wash all other pul separately, the pul in the aios is the only pul that gets washed with the diapers. 
Wife to my Air Force husband and SAHM to DD 9/04, DS 12/05, DS 3/09, DD 9/10, DD 2/12, and DS 9/13
MomBeck View Drop Down
P'infatuated
P'infatuated

Post Options Post Options   Quote MomBeck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Feb 2012 at 4:11pm
I had issues with BGEs fitting so trim that there wasn't enough air circulating. My DD got rashy in them really quickly :( So maybe it's just that toddler boy pee is famously strong and the trim fit holds it in if you KWIM? As long as they aren't stinking out of the washer they're probably getting clean enough. Do you ever bleach them? Adding a tiny bit might help kill anything lingering in them.
mttav View Drop Down
P'infamous
P'infamous

Member Rating(62)

Perennial Pinner
6 years 126 days

Post Options Post Options   Quote mttav Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Feb 2012 at 5:53pm

I have to wash my diapers twice (even in a TLer). I do a cold wash, a hot wash, and then one or two warm cycles with no detergent to get them rinsed. Do you think adding a little detergent to your first cycle would help?

Mom to T (8), M (6), S (3), and X (tiny) and wife to my BFF.

musicmama View Drop Down
P'inspector
P'inspector

Member Rating(12)

Perennial Pinner
6 years 190 days

Post Options Post Options   Quote musicmama Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Feb 2012 at 8:00pm
I'd say maybe some bleach.  Christina also has a point about them not having the same amt. of air circulation.  Any way to sun them where you are?  The UV might help.
Christine
DS1-G (1/06), DS2-D (1/08), DS3-S (4-10) giada md
Esseltess View Drop Down
P'invisible
P'invisible

Post Options Post Options   Quote Esseltess Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Feb 2012 at 12:48am
I have the same issue with my BGEs. They stink as soon as he pees!
Good point about the air flow...too trim, who knew
DD 11/08, DS 01/11
vansen19 View Drop Down
P'inductee
P'inductee

Post Options Post Options   Quote vansen19 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Mar 2012 at 9:56pm
haha, too trim, never knew there was such a thing. 
 Post Reply Post Reply