Forum Home Forum Home - P'interests and Hobbies - Books and Entertainment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Forum Posting Policy | Forum Codes | Our Advertisers | Sales & Announcements | Member Groups | P'insane Leaderboard | Contact Admin

Moderator: Sarah2106
Remember to Support our Advertisers!

Diaper Reviews | Cloth diaper calculator | Diaper Articles | Children's Movies

Why are ebooks so expensive??

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
moonangel12 View Drop Down
P'integral
P'integral

Member Rating(4)

P'insane

Perennial Pinner
6 years 12 days

Post Options Post Options   Quote moonangel12 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Why are ebooks so expensive??
    Posted: 06 Feb 2012 at 1:10pm
I have been cruising Amazon and found some books that look interesting... some I want in paperback form, but others I wouldn't mind if they went on my Kindle. A couple of time I was surprised to find the ebook was more expensive than the paper version!! How is that even possible? I mean, you obviously don't have the same expenses and resources going into it. A paper book needs to be printed, shipped to the seller, stored, then shipped to the buyer (and with Amazon that shipping is "free" so they would save even more money to sell ebooks). Is there a particular reason that maybe I am missing? A process to it all that I don't understand? It's just slightly frustrating to see ebooks going for $10-$30 and up! I know the author and publisher need to make some money, but it's kind of crazy to me. I'm hoping maybe over time the prices will come down?

Renee
Wife to KJC ~ 6/25/05
SAHM to JJC (ODS) ~ 8/06/07, MEC (ODD) ~ 5/06/09, LGC (YDD) ~ 4/14/11, DAC (YDS) ~ 12/31/12!!k
Sponsored Links

txmom View Drop Down
P'inspector
P'inspector

Member Rating(12)

Perennial Pinner
6 years 291 days

Post Options Post Options   Quote txmom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Feb 2012 at 3:01pm
Good question!  Maybe it is more of a demand type thing.  More people have Kindles now and if they are willing to pay $10-30 per ebook, maybe that is just what Amazon will charge.
Linda

Wife of 14 years to Troy, mama of E 10/07 J 09/09 and S 10/11
jberrec View Drop Down
P'incredible
P'incredible

Member Rating(1)

Perennial Pinner
5 years 175 days

Post Options Post Options   Quote jberrec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Feb 2012 at 3:11pm
I'd guess demand too.
Julie-

USAirForce Wife, Mama to DS1 (5.5), DS2 (4), DS3 (almost 2) and another little one born in Feb
Sarah2106 View Drop Down
P'inspector
P'inspector

Member Rating(18)

P'insane

Perennial Pinner
5 years 326 days

Post Options Post Options   Quote Sarah2106 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Feb 2012 at 3:41pm
Have you checked in to the free ebook options? Direct Link To This Post here we talked about a few for Nook and Kindle

I am always getting free books from Casting Pearls, almost daily. Some are novels and others are inspirational or devotional ones. I have had my Nook for over a year and never purchased a book
Wife & Mom to my amazing 3

"The mother's heart is the child's schoolroom." Henry Beecherk <a href=http://mariapaydayloa
P'integral
P'integral

Member Rating(4)

P'insane

Perennial Pinner
6 years 12 days

Post Options Post Options   Quote moonangel12 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Feb 2012 at 4:44pm
I do get free ones from Amazon, but rarely do they have what I am looking for. I have a few of the classics that I have always wanted to read b/c I feel like I should know them, but haven't been motivated to read them yet. I'll check out some of the other options. I hadn't thought about the whole demand thing. I guess it does makes sense from a business standpoint.

Renee
Wife to KJC ~ 6/25/05
SAHM to JJC (ODS) ~ 8/06/07, MEC (ODD) ~ 5/06/09, LGC (YDD) ~ 4/14/11, DAC (YDS) ~ 12/31/12!!k
P'integral
P'integral

Member Rating(4)

P'insane

Perennial Pinner
6 years 12 days

Post Options Post Options   Quote moonangel12 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Feb 2012 at 4:46pm
Awwww... I don't have FB Unhappy. I think DH and I are realizing that it's getting to the point where we're going to have to get it soon to be able to do anything online... it almost feels like a monopoly of sorts. They are forcing us to use their product b/c there isn't going to be any other option. 

Renee
Wife to KJC ~ 6/25/05
Nuttygirl View Drop Down
P'incredible
P'incredible

Member Rating(7)

Perennial Pinner
6 years 58 days

Post Options Post Options   Quote Nuttygirl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Feb 2012 at 5:10pm
I was suprised too.  We just started up a book club here and I was looking at the kindle edition for the book I chose (I don't have a kindle but I have the kindle app on my phone).  The kindle version was only 2 dollars less than the hardback edition of the book (at the discounted amazon price). 
Mom to DS1 1/06, DD1 3/08, DS2 10/10, and DD2 7/13 I need some kids to test a few pattern sizes on and also willing to trade for sewing jobs. PM me if interested.
J2 View Drop Down
P'integral
P'integral

Member Rating(7)

Perennial Pinner
3 years 249 days

Post Options Post Options   Quote J2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Feb 2012 at 6:59pm
i wonder why too. the demand theory makes sense but is till don't like it. i have been getting alot of the prjoect guttenberg books for my kobo and so far so good. plus getting stuff out of the library is fantastic!
Jenn

There’s a big difference between Knowledge & Wisdom. Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in fruit salad.
3boysMom View Drop Down
P'infamous
P'infamous

Post Options Post Options   Quote 3boysMom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Feb 2012 at 8:29pm
It's one thing I don't fully understand either. I really struggle with why spend this much on a digital book when a similar price will give me a tangible item. OTOH I'm trying to convince myself that, unlike all my books ebooks don't take up space and need dusting and storage. Is a little more expense worth less clutter? Once you have the ebook you can read it on your computer, ereader, etc forever. There are books in my life that I've purchased more than once b/c it got ruined or fell apart and that's not really a problem with ebooks, so maybe that benefit is worth a little more expense. Of course I'm of the opinion that if you purchase a book it should include the e-version. You know like how some movies come with the digital download?
Samantha, Captain of Chaos a href="https://www.etsy.com/shop/TurkandBean" target="_blank" rel="nofollow">Turk & Bean
k
mamajag View Drop Down
P'incredible
P'incredible

Perennial Pinner
5 years 169 days

Post Options Post Options   Quote mamajag Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Feb 2012 at 10:42pm
Amazon was actually selling ebooks at a loss for quite some time, and finally the publishers got sick of it and went to an agency model where Amazon gets a percentage for selling the book but doesn't get to set the price.  You'll see a "publisher set the price" notation beside many of these books.

I think it's worth it, but I have a tiny house and no more room for books.
HSing mom to N, C, and G.

"I've had it to here being where love's a small word, a part time thing, a paper ring.."

-- Johnny Cash, Solitary Man
littlehands View Drop Down
P'invisible
P'invisible

Post Options Post Options   Quote littlehands Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Feb 2012 at 11:21pm
I only pay $$ for particular books that I really want and use Swagbucks cards for those. Most of my books I got free. The free books change daily, so you have to hook up with a good blog that finds the jewels. My favs are Casting Pearls on Facebook (thanks for the rec!) and the Free Kindle Books and Tips blog.

This month there are a TON of awesome relationship books.
Rosa, Mom to Six- 15 to 2 years, + a newbie coming in Aug!
I sew and am a freelance writer. PM me! Find me a href="http://hyenacart.com/stores/PinsandNeedles/" target="_blank" rel="nofollow">Pins and Needles
Sarah2106 View Drop Down
P'inspector
P'inspector

Member Rating(18)

P'insane

Perennial Pinner
5 years 326 days

Post Options Post Options   Quote Sarah2106 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Feb 2012 at 10:53am
Originally posted by moonangel12 moonangel12 wrote:

Awwww... I don't have FB Unhappy. I think DH and I are realizing that it's getting to the point where we're going to have to get it soon to be able to do anything online... it almost feels like a monopoly of sorts. They are forcing us to use their product b/c there isn't going to be any other option. 

It can be a pain, but it is really nice to get all sales and free things in one location. Even if you only set up an account to access free things (for coupons and similar) you don't have to have friends or give access to your page to anyone. I know quite a few people that do that. They use FB to like pages to find out about deals and their favorite things, but don't do friends or anything else.
Wife & Mom to my amazing 3

"The mother's heart is the child's schoolroom." Henry Beecherk <a href=http://mariapaydayloa
Nuttygirl View Drop Down
P'incredible
P'incredible

Member Rating(7)

Perennial Pinner
6 years 58 days

Post Options Post Options   Quote Nuttygirl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Feb 2012 at 11:14am
Originally posted by Sarah2106 Sarah2106 wrote:

Originally posted by moonangel12 moonangel12 wrote:

It can be a pain, but it is really nice to get all sales and free things in one location. Even if you only set up an account to access free things (for coupons and similar) you don't have to have friends or give access to your page to anyone. I know quite a few people that do that. They use FB to like pages to find out about deals and their favorite things, but don't do friends or anything else.
My dh had to get facebook in pharmacy school because students were communicating that way.  But now he moved it to a family account and it is just our last name plus fam as the name on the account.  So no one really knows who we are unless they really know us.  We rarely get friend requests except from family members or people who currently know us.  No one from my high school days has any clue except for a few friends that also know who my husband is and that I have searched out and added as a friend.  Most of our extended family is there and they check facebook more often than a blog and so they keep up with our family that way.  We mostly update with pics and silly things the kids have done.
Mom to DS1 1/06, DD1 3/08, DS2 10/10, and DD2 7/13 I need some kids to test a few pattern sizes on and also willing to trade for sewing jobs. PM me if interested.
Starfish03 View Drop Down
P'integral
P'integral

Perennial Pinner
9 years 120 days

Post Options Post Options   Quote Starfish03 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Feb 2012 at 11:21am
http://money.msn.com/saving-money-tips/post.aspx?post=7fb568d9-f4a6-408b-9da2-4176dfa3f36c

I have a feeling that it will change eventually, but they kind of have the market in their hands at the moment.

I watch nook and amazon both for the freebie or good deal of the week ... i have a basic nook, but have the nook and kindle apps both on my phone and tablet.
Jan - Mama to 3 Wild Boys (8/5/4)
Dec1st View Drop Down
P'incredible
P'incredible

Post Options Post Options   Quote Dec1st Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Feb 2012 at 8:37pm
The other part that worries me a little is there have been all kinds of allegations by authors that ebook sales are being under reported so they aren't paid royalties:
http://kriswrites.com/2011/04/13/the-business-rusch-royalty-statements/

http://www.michaelastackpole.com/?p=2405

Plus there is this bit about libraries:

http://roseread.wordpress.com/2011/02/28/the-ebook-user%E2%80%99s-bill-of-rights/

It still feels like the wild west out there...

Erin B: mom to Ellie (Nov 2008), Stepmom to C (1997) and V (1996), wife to an amazing man

My Blog
 Post Reply Post Reply