Forum Home Forum Home - Diaper Discussions - Bubble Bubble Toil & Trouble
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Forum Posting Policy | Forum Codes | Our Advertisers | Sales & Announcements | Member Groups | P'insane Leaderboard | Contact Admin

Moderator: musicmama
Remember to Support our Advertisers!

Diaper Reviews | Cloth diaper calculator | Diaper Articles | Books * DVDs * CDs * etc

What is the next step?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
TwinsPlusOne View Drop Down
P'invisible
P'invisible

Post Options Post Options   Quote TwinsPlusOne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: What is the next step?
    Posted: 02 Feb 2012 at 9:35am
Hello All-

I am sure this has been covered before but searching through all the posts is a little time consuming Embarrassed

So we have been exclusively cding since birth with DS3 and even survived a yeast invasion over the summer.  About a month ago he got a terrible rash on his bummy -- like overnight it came out of nowhere and was open and bleeding Confused  So the MD had us use Nystatin (I did try non medical options first but they were not doing the job).  SO we switched to using the GroVIa biosoaker disposable inserts while we treated the yeasty rash.  During that time I did a boiled on the stove dawn strip and complete wash routine sans detergent to treat his diapers (GMD flats, workhorses, and prefolds).  Now that the rash is gone I switched back to cding again.  WHen he is in a pad folded flat under PUL  he starts to get red again.  I didn't really notice that with a workhorse under hand knitted wool.

What should I do?  Any ideas?  Thank you for any and ALL advice or comments :o)
Married to Hubby since 2004
DS1 and DS2 7/2007
DS3 5/2011 gia
Sponsored Links

amymcg97 View Drop Down
P'invisible
P'invisible

Post Options Post Options   Quote amymcg97 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Feb 2012 at 10:16am
Do you think he could have a sensitivity to PUL? You could try TPU (like GroVia and I think there are others) or stick with wool. Could you leave him in just wool for a couple of days and see how he does? The breathibility might be what helps him from getting red. Because you already sanitized your diapers, I would try the wool before making yourself crazy with more washing. And keep him as dry as you can....
P'invisible
P'invisible

Post Options Post Options   Quote TwinsPlusOne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Feb 2012 at 1:12pm
I was wondering if that my be a good idea -- the increase in breathability.  Especially because our family has excema as a whole so I am sure his skin is sensitive and the moisture being trapped is just a breeding ground for those gosh darn yeasties.  Is this a case where the CJs that everyone raves about would help seal his skin from the moisture?
DS1 and DS2 7/2007
DS3 5/2011 gia
amymcg97 View Drop Down
P'invisible
P'invisible

Post Options Post Options   Quote amymcg97 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Feb 2012 at 1:25pm
I've never tried CJs. I use just a very thin layer of lanolin for nights. It was just one less thing to buy. (I smooth and rub a pea size between my fingers to melt it a bit, dab it in several trouble spots and then rub it out evenly.). Part of our issue is ammonia, though, and I'm working on a solution for that. DH put her night diaper on without the lanolin, and she actually woke up with blisters the next morning. :(. I used lots of Desitin and sposies to clear that up, and have been trying to eradicate the stinkies ever since.
erinchelsea View Drop Down
P'intense
P'intense

Member Rating(34)

Perennial Pinner
6 years 229 days

Post Options Post Options   Quote erinchelsea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Feb 2012 at 2:54pm
Sounds like it could be the PUL. You might just have to use wool. CJ's might be worth a try. It did help with my kids' eczema, but wouldn't completely prevent a rash when there was an issue with the dipes. Another PUL cover you might try is the Motherease Airflow. It lets in more air than a typical PUL cover. You can't pad fold with it but it works great over a fastened flat or a fitted.
Erin, happy wife of Jason (7/21/07) and mama to Abram (3/09) and Adrie (6/11)
Esseltess View Drop Down
P'invisible
P'invisible

Post Options Post Options   Quote Esseltess Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Feb 2012 at 3:04pm
I'm having a similar problem right now!
DD 11/08, DS 01/11
musicmama View Drop Down
P'inspector
P'inspector

Member Rating(11)

Perennial Pinner
6 years 281 days

Post Options Post Options   Quote musicmama Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Feb 2012 at 6:35pm
Definitely try the Motherease AF cover if you suspect the need for a more breathable option.  A child w/ sensitive skin usually needs maximum air circulation, especially for nights.  Also, you may want to try using some bleach in an initial cold/cold cycle in your machine.  Use a minimal amt.  It may help if there are some nasties in the fabric.  After that, wash on hot w/ your reg. detergent, and use warm rinses.

The dipes you have are pretty low-maintenance as far as washing goes.  They aren't the kind likely to rinse poorly.  Just make sure that they are fully dry, esp. if you are in a more humid climate.  Even that seems unlikely though, since the heat many of us are using makes for dry air in the home.

It may also be time to switch detergents.  Any chance you are using one w/ enzymes, like Tide?  Those enzymes can really hurt the skin as they activate w/ a wet dipe.  I found I had to avoid those when my G had some major reactions from his night dipes.  Not sure that they would contribute to ammonia, but they sure do make the skin look scalded in the areas that touch the most wet fabric (generally not the folds as in w/ a yeast infection).  Bac-out is the only enzyme product I use, and it "dies" in warm/hot water, so I use it in an initial cold rinse to cut down on the real nasty smells that can linger after washing.  pinstripesandpolkadots.com has a wonderful few pages on selecting detergents.

Consider also a food sensitivity, assuming you are introducing solids, and he has a varied diet.

Edited by musicmama - 02 Feb 2012 at 6:37pm
Christine
DS1-G (1/06), DS2-D (1/08), DS3-S (4-10) giada md
P'invisible
P'invisible

Post Options Post Options   Quote TwinsPlusOne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Feb 2012 at 9:32pm
Christine -- those are VERY good points thank you!  I am using Tide free and clear -- Maybe I will have to look into something else.  The easiest thing on the approved detergent list that I can find locally is Ecos -- anyone tried it?  I used Allens liquid in the beginning but he got a horrible all over rash from it.  I will pay closer attention to his diet -- we are big into solids and make our own baby food so I can be very sure of what he is eating.

Thank you all -- it sounds like worst case scenario I get to feed my wool addiction  :O)
DS1 and DS2 7/2007
DS3 5/2011 gia
 Post Reply Post Reply