Forum Home Forum Home - Diaper Discussions - Bubble Bubble Toil & Trouble
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Forum Posting Policy | Forum Codes | Our Advertisers | Sales & Announcements | Member Groups | P'insane Leaderboard | Contact Admin

Moderator: musicmama
Remember to Support our Advertisers!

Diaper Reviews | Cloth diaper calculator | Diaper Articles | Books * DVDs * CDs * etc

Wash help...please...

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
amymcg97 View Drop Down
P'invisible
P'invisible

Post Options Post Options   Quote amymcg97 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Wash help...please...
    Posted: 31 Jan 2012 at 1:51pm
The gist: I have been using Charlie's Soap since I started CD back in June. We have an LG front loader with sanitize, steam, and extra water options. We have average city water. I have been washing everything together (PFs, cotton fitteds, covers, a few AIOs, cotton and hemp doublers, and wet bags). I have had issues keeping ammonia at bay. Daytime is usually fine, but in the a.m., I can get knocked over sometimes from the stink. I have to put lanolin or CD-friendly skin protectant on DD's skin to prevent rashes/burns with the night dipe.   I tried less soap, more soap, lots of extra rinses, etc. I thoroughly rinse and soak the morning diaper and wash every 2 days, sometimes 3. I was so desparate this week, that I presoaked and rinsed each diaper with warm/hot water and a bit of blue Dawn. I don't think it mattered, though.

DH decided he was not fond of Charlie's and has been using liquidTide/febreeze when he throws in his regular laundry. So, since he is using a non CD friendly detergent in our machine, I thought I might try a mainstream detergent that could be used on CD and regular laundry to keep some harmony in the household. (He has only recently began using the CD at all and comments with disapproval when the morning diaper has that ammonia stench.). For night, we use a fitted with snap in soaker, an added hemp doubler, sometimes a thin fleece layer or extra cotton doubler, covered in wool. Occasionally, I use a MEAF. Once in a while I will Snappi a PF instead of using a fitted. All end up with morning stink unless they've just been bleached. And the ammonia issues began well before his switch to Tide with Febreeze, so I don't think that's the culprit.

Has anyone had good (or bad) luck with original powder Tide (for HE)? Bleach helps. Bac Out less so. I am not opposed to occasional bleach, but I would prefer to not use it for every load.   I also have the sanitize option (which I've tried 2-3 times without ill effects), but I am hesitant to use it every time. I have fitteds with elastic and several AIOs. Argh! Has anyone had similar circumstances and found a solution? I just want the diapers to come out CLEAN....

Thank you for your assistance, Mamas! I appreciate any help you can offer.
Sponsored Links

musicmama View Drop Down
P'inspector
P'inspector

Member Rating(11)

Perennial Pinner
6 years 251 days

Post Options Post Options   Quote musicmama Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jan 2012 at 3:02pm
I think Charlies is suppose to not work so well if you use other det's in the wash.  So, probably switching away from that would be the first step.  Maybe something like Vaska, or a basic, cheapo det., would be a good option?  I know some people use the plain powdered Tide, but I prefer to get something w/ as few additives as possible.  pinstripesandpol has a

When you use Bac out, it's cold water, right?

Sometimes fitteds are just too thick to work for nights.  Flats are the thinnest, so they are likely to rinse out the best.  I use sposies for night, because I just couldn't wash often enough to make it work (hard water).  You may want to consider that option for now, until you can get the day-dipes to wash cleaner.

This place is hands-down the best source for diaper-washing info. www.pinstripesandpolkadots.com/detergentchoicesataglancepspd.htm

Christine
DS1-G (1/06), DS2-D (1/08), DS3-S (4-10) giada md
3boysMom View Drop Down
P'invisible
P'invisible

Post Options Post Options   Quote 3boysMom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jan 2012 at 3:10pm
The resource Christine posted is the best for detergent help. And she's right about Chralie's not living in harmony with other detergents. We do bleach once a month or so and it helps as a maintanence thing. Bacout works for us in our everyday washing though. I rinse out our poopy and night diapers and then spray with bac-out before tossing it in the pail and use in in the pre-rinse cycle. Charlie's doesn't work well with our hard water since we moved and I use RnG hard rock instead. CDing is a constant evolution, keep at it, you'll figure it out.
Samantha, Captain of Chaos at Turk & Bean
mamma22boys View Drop Down
P'infamous
P'infamous

Member Rating(40)

P'insane

Perennial Pinner
4 years 73 days

Post Options Post Options   Quote mamma22boys Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jan 2012 at 3:38pm
Washing is definalty the hardest part to figure out.  I couldn't use thick fitteds at night.  they gave me ammonia smell.  A thinner fitted like the GMD workhorse w/a pad folded flat doubler worked really well and no stink.

I use Arm and Hammer Free detergent for my diapers and clothes.  I have pretty normal water.  not too hard but definalty not soft. 

My rountine looks like this.. I have been doing the same routine for over a year with no stink, no ammmonia. 

step 1.  short wash cycle cold/cold rinse:  all diapers w/ 1/4 cup bleach and squirt of dawn
step 2.  long wash/rinse cycle (hot/cold):  all diapers w/cap full of Arm and hammer soap
step 3.  short hot wash/cold rinse cycle :  all diapers nothing added.

Emily Wife to Jake
Mom to Joseph 2/07 & Jordan 5/09 and 1 little girl Audrey 9/12
Probably NAK-- so please excuse the typos.
amymcg97 View Drop Down
P'invisible
P'invisible

Post Options Post Options   Quote amymcg97 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jan 2012 at 10:17pm
Thanks for the info.   I will do a little more research. I was using Bac Out with cold water, and we used only Charlie's for some time. It was more recent that DH switched one load a week to Tide. For now, I think I'll give Tide original a try because it's available. If I need to strip and restart, so be it. I also tried BioKleen with oxygen bleach and no luck there, either. I will research the Vaska because I would like to get back to fewer additives. I've just never seen it locally, so I'll have to order online. I need to research RocknGreen, too. A CD friend had success with our city water supply and a FL. I just wasn't sure if that was compatible with using other detergents....

I will check out the link. Thanks, again!
amymcg97 View Drop Down
P'invisible
P'invisible

Post Options Post Options   Quote amymcg97 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jan 2012 at 10:29pm
Ugh. Did a little more research and maybe the Tide will be going back to the store.... Is it really supposed to be this hard? Makes me long for our old TL. Ha, ha.
 Post Reply Post Reply