Forum Home Forum Home - Diaper Discussions - Bubble Bubble Toil & Trouble
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Forum Posting Policy | Forum Codes | Our Advertisers | Sales & Announcements | Member Groups | P'insane Leaderboard | Contact Admin

Moderator: musicmama
Remember to Support our Advertisers!

Diaper Reviews | Cloth diaper calculator | Diaper Articles | Books * DVDs * CDs * etc

lanolin staining

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
oliverandedie View Drop Down
P'invisible
P'invisible

Post Options Post Options   Quote oliverandedie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: lanolin staining
    Posted: 27 Jan 2012 at 11:03am
I got a pre-owned interlock soaker recently that a lot of lanolin spotting. I have not had this happen myself, and was interested in how this type of spotting occurs?
So, I did a little research on how to remove them and most sites suggested cornstarch or blue dawn. I did a little blue dawn wash and the spots seem to have faded...I guess I won't be able to tell for sure until it is dry and in good light! But, dawn seems like a pretty harsh treatment for something as delicate as wool, so I was kind of nervous.
How do you feel about stripping wool? And what is your method for removing lanolin or other staining?
Sponsored Links

oliverandedie View Drop Down
P'invisible
P'invisible

Post Options Post Options   Quote oliverandedie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jan 2012 at 11:40am
Eh. The soaker dried. Spots are still there.
It's still cute. But, the seller described it as EUC, and I think visible (and I am not being fussy here--spots you can see in my dim nearly window-less house) spotting should at least be disclosed. Unhappy
Clare_S View Drop Down
P'incredible
P'incredible

Member Rating(46)

Perennial Pinner
3 years 180 days

Post Options Post Options   Quote Clare_S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jan 2012 at 12:17pm
Sorry, Sondra. I agree that it should have been disclosed. I think I read that lanolin spots will wear out over time? I hope that's true.

Also, your avi is precious!
Happily married to Nathan and mama to DD (5), DS (3), DS2 (5/14)
amymcg97 View Drop Down
P'invisible
P'invisible

Post Options Post Options   Quote amymcg97 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jan 2012 at 1:53pm
I read something here on another post about stripping the lanolin out first with diluted vinegar, and then cleaning the wool. I haven't tried it yet myself but need to do so. I have lots of lanolin spots on much of my wool. I think I just didn't get it up to a high enough temp when I first started lanolizing. So when I added it to lukewarm water, I think it was mostly dissolved...but not entirely = little glops that deposited on lovely wool.      I would certainly disclose that when I try to sell because I, too, would expect EUC to be free of stains.
Esseltess View Drop Down
P'invisible
P'invisible

Post Options Post Options   Quote Esseltess Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jan 2012 at 2:37pm
Oh.... This is going to sound silly ...but isn't pee supposed to use up the lanolin in a soaker?
If so , which would align with Clare saying they wear out over time, then if you put pee on them and let it soak shouldn't the spots go away?

Yeah, kinda weird soaking your soaker in pee but hey! Maybe it will get rid of them then all you need to do is wash and re lanolize and the pee shouldn't damage it because that's what it's for
DD 11/08, DS 01/11
amymcg97 View Drop Down
P'invisible
P'invisible

Post Options Post Options   Quote amymcg97 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jan 2012 at 3:18pm
Hmm. Good point.   When I rinse a morning diaper, maybe I should try soaking some splotched wool in the water before draining. It sounds gross, but could be worth a try. I mean, I'd be washing it thereafter, so not totally disgusting, right? :)
Esseltess View Drop Down
P'invisible
P'invisible

Post Options Post Options   Quote Esseltess Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jan 2012 at 3:23pm
I think so !

Let us know if it works
DD 11/08, DS 01/11
 Post Reply Post Reply