Forum Home Forum Home - Green Living - Frugal Living
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Forum Posting Policy | Forum Codes | Our Advertisers | Sales & Announcements | Member Groups | P'insane Leaderboard | Contact Admin

Moderator: taowensf
Remember to Support our Advertisers!

Diaper Reviews | Cloth diaper calculator | Diaper Articles | Shop for Frugal and Healthy Living books

S/O Favorite chicken breeds?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
jessmomto2 View Drop Down
P'integral
P'integral

Post Options Post Options   Quote jessmomto2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Feb 2012 at 2:40pm
My first flock was a mix of Barred Rocks, RIR's, and something black.  The RIR's were bossy in that catch.  The black things were horrible mean creatures.  And the Barred Rocks were such nice souls but got bossed around easily.

My second flock was a dozen RIR's and they were great girls.  Never had any problems with someone ganging up on someone else.  They sold me on RIR's and though it may sound strange i miss them dearly.  They were so much fun and great company at a rough time in my life.  They layed all winter long and the cold or heat never seamed to bother them.

My current flock is mostly Golden Comets, along with some Ameraucanas and Silkies.  I have been a bit disappointed in my Golden Comets but i think it might be my fault.  I've never been impressed with how they handle extreme weather or the quality of their eggs and after doing a ton of research lately i think it's their feed.  So at some point this week we're going to be changing feeds and see if that makes a difference?  Otherwise they are good girls and i'm pleased with them personality wise.  My Ameraucanas are a mixed blessing.  Two are roosters with night and day personalities.  One is a good boy and one is aggressive to everyone but me.  The hen is a good girl.  When she was younger she was very skittish and easily bossed around, but once she reached laying age she became very friendly and doesn't let anyone boss her around.  I've read that's a typical Ameraucana hen personality.  She doesn't lay as well as the GC's but her colored eggs are beautiful in color, shape, and the quality.  Then we have the Silkie's.  They're hardier than i thought they'd be, but being roosters they're not terribly friendly, though they also aren't terribly aggressive with people either.  Since we seperated them the one has been no trouble, while the other tends to peck me if he's hungry in the morning when i try to get his feed dish.

Our new flock that we're adding this spring is going to be 4 each of Barred Rocks, RIR's, Ameraucanas, Buff Orpingtons, and Buff Brahmas, plus 2 "mystery chicks" that i hope are not Wyandottes or Leghorns or whatever those black colored savages were i had the first go around.  I've heard so many people complain about how Leghorns pick on others that i don't want them, and i've heard some things about Wyandottes that also make me pause about keeping them in a child tended flock, though they are pretty birds.
Jess

Wife to my Rick (5/04), homeschooling mama to Kara (11) and Aidan (7), and our preemie Anna 12/31/12. Raising our kids to know and love the Lord.
Sponsored Links

mommy2five0406070911 View Drop Down
P'infatuated
P'infatuated

Post Options Post Options   Quote mommy2five0406070911 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Feb 2012 at 2:57pm
wow this is all so good to know.  I got such a variety coming right now.  My plan is to feel out these breeds this year to settle more on what I want next year for meat purposes, egg purposes, foraging ability, brooding, and calmness around my kids.  Thanks for all this info too because it helps alot!!
Jenn wife to Jamie 5/05 & Mommy of Kai (8),Zay (6),Liv(4),Brady (3),Max (9 months)& 2 dogs and 7 puppies, 5 bunnies, 48 chickens, and 16 ducks!   to,488px)div
northwind View Drop Down
P'integral
P'integral

Member Rating(18)

Perennial Pinner
6 years 227 days

Post Options Post Options   Quote northwind Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Feb 2012 at 3:03pm
I asked my dad how he's liking his Sex Links, and he says he likes them the best of any hens he's had.  They are much cleaner than his Barred  Rock flock - he said the eggs frequently don't need to be washed, because Sex Links don't poop in the roost the way the Barred Rocks did.

And - he said he may try incubating some eggs this spring for meeeee!!!! Yay!
Katie
Mama to Sylvia (6.5), Penelope (5),and Rosalie (2)k <a hre
sunnymom View Drop Down
P'invaluable
P'invaluable

Member Rating(26)

Perennial Pinner
6 years 207 days

Post Options Post Options   Quote sunnymom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Feb 2012 at 9:51pm
I still giggle a little every time I read or hear "sex links".   :D I always think "bondage birds".

this is really interesting to read! Still torn between australorps, rir, a few americaunas, and barred rocks. We have time though (not moved yet).

Edited by sunnymom - 23 Feb 2012 at 4:14pm
Mama to E (9.2008), K (11.2010), O (11.2012)

Maker of organic solid lotions, balms, sunscreens, and insect repellent at On Hand Lotions
7308anne View Drop Down
P'invisible
P'invisible

Post Options Post Options   Quote 7308anne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Feb 2012 at 10:59pm
well I am a RIR snob lol. my parents had them all of my growing up years and then add in a lot of different breeds when we had a hired hand that needed somewhere to put his so we have had about 15 different breeds. My reason for liking the RIR is how their eggs tast and how they dont bother you (exept roosters i never liked any roosters of any breed). We did have some trouble in the winter if the temp where below 0 for a long time then they would not lay as much but when my DH and I had some we never had that problem I think it was the feed (my dad hardly ever feed them becouse they would go out to the cow pins and eat) We did not feed them fancy just cracked corn and then oats in the winter. We did however have the best tasting, yok color, and production when my DH brought home his distillers truck and we would get the extra off the rails and such for them they loved that. One more reason to love chickens is the bug control I would never live in the country agian without them.
mommy2five0406070911 View Drop Down
P'infatuated
P'infatuated

Post Options Post Options   Quote mommy2five0406070911 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Feb 2012 at 11:28pm
I am looking forward to that bug control this year!!!  With the ducks and the chickens I should be set :)
Jenn wife to Jamie 5/05 & Mommy of Kai (8),Zay (6),Liv(4),Brady (3),Max (9 months)& 2 dogs and 7 puppies, 5 bunnies, 48 chickens, and 16 ducks!   to,488px)div
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12