Forum Home Forum Home - Diaper Discussions - Introduction to Cloth Diapering
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Forum Posting Policy | Forum Codes | Our Advertisers | Sales & Announcements | Member Groups | P'insane Leaderboard | Contact Admin

Moderator: txmom
Remember to Support our Advertisers!

Diaper Reviews | Cloth diaper calculator | Diaper Articles | Books * DVDs * CDs * etc

A few questions...

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
dance View Drop Down
Just Pinned
Just Pinned

Post Options Post Options   Quote dance Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: A few questions...
    Posted: 25 Jan 2012 at 11:31am
Hi! I have just been cloth diapering for about a month- it's going really well! I originally wanted to just save money, but now I love it for all kinds of reasons! 
I did a lot of lurking and I really want a minimalist stash- I think I am pretty happy with what I've got and will probably just buy more of the same. Based mainly on what I read here, I am using birdseye flats and thirsties duo wraps during the day, and fuzzibuns with one fb insert and one hemp doubler at night. Sometimes I  throw a fb insert in during the day on top of the folded flat if we are going out.

This seems to work pretty well for us! I just have a few questions:
I air dry inside, and those hemp doublers take FOREVER! I feel like they will get mildewy! I don't want to run the dryer just for them- can I dry them with other clothes if I don't use any dryer sheets or anything? I just use dryer balls. I use regular detergent for clothes, though- will that hurt the hemp if it's dried together?

Also, I like using the washer as a wet pail, but I have heard anecdotally that you shouldn't soak the cover for long periods. I just would rather not use a dry pail because my washing routine is working really well, and adding baking soda to the pail means you have to add vinegar to the rinse, right? It seems like a slippery slope to complexity!

I also have a stash of flannel (receiving blankets, etc) that I was planning to use, but it doesn't seem that absorbent. Any flannel fans? Is it useful in some way I don't understand?

And before I go duplicating my existing stash ( I want to make a little more room for poop incidents, etc)- my DD is a sweaty little thing, and I think when summer comes, she might get a little yeasty in PUL covers. She got yeasty in the heat last summer in 'sposies.  Do you have a different summer routine?

Ha- I didn't even realize I had that many questions! Thanks in advance for any help!
Sponsored Links

3boysMom View Drop Down
P'invisible
P'invisible

Post Options Post Options   Quote 3boysMom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jan 2012 at 11:59am
Glad you're enjoying your cloth adventure and welcome to the pin! Are your FB inserts the organic cottone ones? If they're the microfiber ones the way you worded using them on top of your flats worries me. Microfiber should never be against baby's skin.
What are you washing your regular clothes in? Drying them with the clothes should have little effect, but over time you may find that the regular detergent that builds up in your machine will start to transfer to your diapers.

You don't want to be soaking your elastic for long periods of time as it will greatly decrease their lifespan. We use a dry pail method and have never had to add anything to the pail. Having natural airflow keeps odors at bay and we spray out the poopie and overly saturated night diapers. And again if your soaking your diapers in the washer you're soaking them with the detergent build up and may find problems down the road.

Flannel can be absorbant. It's still cotton and many people make diapers and wipes from old receiving blankets.

In the summer you can do a lot more coverless time to help air things out a bit. We only use PUL at night and my boys wear wool longies and soakers the rest of the time. Wool breathes so much better and has natural odor and bacteria fighting properties. But our routine doesn't change with the seasons we just prefer more natural materials all the time. And you wouldn't think it does, but wool is cool in the summer. If I had a lil girl she'd live in wool skirties.

Good luck! The pin is a great community and we all love to help.
Samantha, Captain of Chaos at Turk & Bean
dance View Drop Down
Just Pinned
Just Pinned

Post Options Post Options   Quote dance Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jan 2012 at 12:08pm
Thanks so much!

I didn't know that microfiber shouldn't be against skin! How come? Could I just wrap it in a flat? 

I use Method Free and Clear on my regular clothes, rockin green on the diapers. When I run out of all of these I want to make some bulk detergents.  I just went part time and finally have more time (and less money...)

Do you have a lid on your dry pail? I don't have a diaper sprayer, but I have been spraying the poop above a little plastic tub in the kitchen sink. I have a little storage tub I use as a dry pail when I need to use the washer- I got this off an article on here about using the washer as a wet pail. Sounds like that's a bad idea though? 

I need to look into wool- that is an area I haven't even begun to think about, but I am interested. I worry it could get me addicted. It's hard for me to wrap my head around it being cool and breathable, but everyone says it is! 

Flannel for wipies is a perfect idea! I haven't gone for the cloth wipes yet. Baby steps.
Thanks so much for the tips.

3boysMom View Drop Down
P'invisible
P'invisible

Post Options Post Options   Quote 3boysMom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jan 2012 at 12:41pm
Micro fiber is designed to suck away all the moisture. So when it's right against baby's bottom it will leech all the moisture from their skin. Wrapping it inside the flat is fine. Your F&C detergent probably won't be an issue. Build up is more of a problem with more mainstream detergents.
I have a trashcan with a foot lever to open the lid. We keep a pail liner inside. The lid doesn't close completely. Most people don't wet pail, but there are people who just throw their diapers into the machine and then run it when it's ready. We do so much laundry that'd never be an option for us, lol.

Wool can be a slippery slope. It's so functional and cute. We slowly transitioned too. It's a lot to take in when you're getting started. Cloth diapering is so fluid. It's different for everyone and your needs and routines can change as your child grows. There's no right or wrong way.
Samantha, Captain of Chaos at Turk & Bean
oliverandedie View Drop Down
P'invisible
P'invisible

Post Options Post Options   Quote oliverandedie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jan 2012 at 2:20pm
Welcome!
  Looks like Samantha did a pretty good job fielding your questions already! I think if you are using a free and clear detergent, it may be okay to add the inserts in with the dryer load. Just be wary if you notice any changes in absorbency. You may then need to strip the inserts and start over.
And I could never use my washer as a wet pail either. That space is a commodity! I do do overnight  about once a month in the washer, though, to get some of the benefits of a soak. We use a wet bag (opened at the top for ventilation) and keep it on top of the washer till laundry day.
We also use wool for day and night for its natural breathability. I am very excited to live in those wool skirties this summer! It can be addictive--so it is good that you know yourself enough to be wary. It gets pretty salty. But, if you have even slight sewing skills, you can make yourself some soakers out of old sweaters. Same idea if you knit.
I like flannel as a diaper fabric. In fact, you just made me think I am going to go through my old receiving blankets...
So glad you decided to join. The mamas on here are the best!
Clare_S View Drop Down
P'incredible
P'incredible

Member Rating(46)

P'insane

Perennial Pinner
3 years 129 days

Post Options Post Options   Quote Clare_S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jan 2012 at 3:31pm
Ooh, I like your choice for daytime diapers. Flats and Duo wraps are my favorite and most used combo.

Sam and Sondra have your questions covered...so I'll just say welcome!
Happily married to Nathan and mama to DD (5), DS (3), DS2 (5/14)
dance View Drop Down
Just Pinned
Just Pinned

Post Options Post Options   Quote dance Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Feb 2012 at 10:06am
You are all so helpful!! I have been doing more of a dry pail. I guess the poop thing bothers me a little- now I have worked in child care for 10 years, so I am not overly troubled by poop! But I don't really like the idea of it sitting. So I feel like I have to completely rinse it out of the flat before putting it in the pail, and that process is kinda gross. I have been swishing it either in a plastic tub in the sink- but I have to use the kitchen sink for size, and I worry a tiny bit about splashing poo water on our food prep area. (Child care involves 8 billion trailings on the dangers of fecal matter) So I tried swishing in the potty, but then wasn't sure how to neatly get it out. I guess I should have had the pail on hand? And just held the pail over the potty and dropped he diaper in?

I'm not going to get a sprayer, as she's 14 months and probably our last bebe. I think she will potty train early so it doesn't seem worth it. I think I just haven't settled on a poo routine I am comfortable with!

I am getting excited about making some wool stuff. Do you just pin/snappi a flat or prefold under there? I want to figure u=out some folds for bigger babes.

dance View Drop Down
Just Pinned
Just Pinned

Post Options Post Options   Quote dance Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Feb 2012 at 10:43am
ooh, just looked up oragami fold and I love it! I need a few more diaper covers, so right now I have her in an oragami fold inside a onesie with fleece pants on- we are doing laundry right now. 
Clare_S View Drop Down
P'incredible
P'incredible

Member Rating(46)

P'insane

Perennial Pinner
3 years 129 days

Post Options Post Options   Quote Clare_S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Feb 2012 at 11:36am
A diaper sprayer is invaluable in my opinion. I really would not want to cloth diaper without it! If you LO is only 14 months, you could still get LOTS of use out of one. Just sayin'! We did a DIY one for about $20, but I would spring for a "real" diaper sprayer if I could do it again.
Clare_S View Drop Down
P'incredible
P'incredible

Member Rating(46)

P'insane

Perennial Pinner
3 years 129 days

Post Options Post Options   Quote Clare_S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Feb 2012 at 11:38am
Oh, I also keep a "poop bucket" next to my changing table. If my kid poops, I toss the poopy diaper in the bucket and use it to transport to the bathroom. I spray every speck of poop off, then wring it out and carry it back in the bucket to my pail and dump it in. It is really easy. I hate dunking and swishing because I don't want to wring out my diaper with poop still on it but I hate transporting a dripping diaper.
kkweight View Drop Down
P'invisible
P'invisible

Post Options Post Options   Quote kkweight Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Feb 2012 at 2:58pm
Originally posted by dance dance wrote:

hemp doublers take FOREVER! I feel like they will get mildewy! I don't want to run the dryer just for them- can I dry them with other clothes if I don't use any dryer sheets or anything? I just use dryer balls. I use regular detergent for clothes, though- will that hurt the hemp if it's dried together?

For the most part, your drying technique is perfectly fine. The only issue it causes though is when you are air drying stuff like fitteds, AIO's, and doublers. Anything that has multiple thick layers of fabric will have a longer and harder time air drying. And those internal layers wont really fully reach total dryness.
One thing i did to avoid using the dryer on these items was to lay them on the heater vents in our home! It worked wonderfully, it helped speed up the drying time and it helped avoid the mildew issue. I live in an area with VERY dry air, so with laying the doublers and fitteds on the heater vents in each of the rooms added a bit of moisture in the air and sped up the drying time.
During the summer i used a clothes line.

Now, if you choose to use the dryer for these items, which i do suggest doing every once in a while... You wont be hurting your diapering items by using the dryer. I liked to add a load of towels to my doublers. Just be sure not to add any dryer sheets or fabric softeners to the towels, and to be sure to rinse them super well.

Also, I like using the washer as a wet pail, but I have heard anecdotally that you shouldn't soak the cover for long periods. I just would rather not use a dry pail because my washing routine is working really well, and adding baking soda to the pail means you have to add vinegar to the rinse, right? It seems like a slippery slope to complexity!

Well, technically, your covers should be fine honestly. I just wouldn't be soaking them longer than a day or two.
I prefer a dry pail, but i wash every day, or at most, every other day.
When i change the baby i rinse the diaper off in the toilet, that is essentially like a cold water soak/cold water rinse in the wash. So once i dunk and flush a few times, i lightly wring out the excess and throw it in my pail till washing. I rarely, if ever used any baking soda. If you are washing the diapers and covers correctly, you shouldnt have to use the baking soda. And no. Just because you use baking soda doe NOT mean you HAVE to use vinegar.

Honestly, if i were you, if putting them into the washer i working, keep doing it. Don't change whats working.
If the covers are worrying you, then simple just put them into a dry pail off to the side, you don't have to add anything extra to it.

I also have a stash of flannel (receiving blankets, etc) that I was planning to use, but it doesn't seem that absorbent. Any flannel fans? Is it useful in some way I don't understand?
Flannel tends to be a tad thicker and more absorbant that something like cotton jersey or Birdseye cotton. I just adds a little more absorbancy. But remember..... Regardless of what fabrics you use, layers are important. The more layers of fabric=More absorbancy.

I think when summer comes, she might get a little yeasty in PUL covers. She got yeasty in the heat last summer in 'sposies.  Do you have a different summer routine?

PUL does tend to hold heat and moisture in. That's why some people in warmer and more hmid climates tend to go with wool or microfleece. They tend to breathe a LOT better than PUL will, which tends to be better for kids with skin issues.

Another option for summer, which is what we did, was to go coverless!
My daughter was hard to keep clothes on in the summer anyways, so i let her go without bottoms and a cover. When the outside of the diaper felt moist, i changed it. Easy peasy. Then that way there's no covers to have to wash, no PUL holding in extra heat and moisture, and it makes for a more breathable bum. Its not as messy or gross as some might think it is.

dance View Drop Down
Just Pinned
Just Pinned

Post Options Post Options   Quote dance Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Feb 2012 at 2:37pm
Ha, Clare, that's funny- I started using a poo bucket of sorts, too! I use a 5 gallon bucket to hold the diaper and then use the kitchen sprayer. I have a long hose on the kitchen sprayer so I can do it on the floor, well away from the counter and sink. This has been working pretty well for me.

Kalley, thanks for the tips. I do have her go coverless at home sometimes- and good call on the heating vent! I can move my drying rack. I also got 3 of those joey buns (i think?) hemp doublers that are two layers, only just stitched together on the end of one side. They butterly out and dry more quickly, but still hold tons at night. Now I try to use those and just keep the thicker thirsties ones as backup.
Thanks for all the help, y'all!
vansen19 View Drop Down
P'inductee
P'inductee

Post Options Post Options   Quote vansen19 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Mar 2012 at 8:44pm
i can't wait to try wool in the summer- it will be our first summer in cloth AND with a newborn too. wish i could learn to knit or crochet my own woolies!!!! afraid i'll have no time after newest one is born...
 Post Reply Post Reply