Forum Home Forum Home - P'interests and Hobbies - Home and Hearth
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Forum Posting Policy | Forum Codes | Our Advertisers | Sales & Announcements | Member Groups | P'insane Leaderboard | Contact Admin

Moderator: eightcowwife | taowensf | txmom | musicmama | sunnymom | Sarah2106 | umbribyz
Remember to Support our Advertisers!

Diaper Reviews | Cloth diaper calculator | Diaper Articles | Shop for Home and Hearth books

Visit Motivated Moms for a
printable chore planning system. Have a clean and organized home and still have time for yourself!

offered a new house

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
elus0814 View Drop Down
P'incredible
P'incredible

Member Rating(3)

Perennial Pinner
5 years 77 days

Post Options Post Options   Quote elus0814 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: offered a new house
    Posted: 17 Jan 2012 at 12:01pm
We've been back and fourth with the housing office here since last summer trying to get them to bump us up the list for a four bedroom house. We're currently in a three bedroom, 1640 sq ft, house and it's just barely big enough now and after the baby is born the girls will have to all be in a 10x11' bedroom (there is no way that would work so the baby would have to stay in the master until we move to a new base). 

I got a call this morning that they're going to have a four bedroom house opening up around March 1st. I'll list the house points because my paragraph is becoming disjointed:
-older, built in the 50's but extensively remodeled (current house was built in 2009), older might mean more solidly built
-older neighborhood so more trees and character but more landscaping means more places for snakes and other critters to hide
-closer to DH's work by about 5 minutes (currently a 10 minute drive), farther from the grocery store/bx/gas station/post office/medical office/etc., those drive would go from 2-4 minutes to 5-7 minutes, not a big deal
-closed floor plan, each room is it's own room with doors separating; I really like how open our current house is, I can be in the kitchen without feeling separated from the rest of the family but it might be nice to be able to close off rooms easily
-no dedicated laundry room, I'm not sure how I feel about separating laundry and having all that sitting in the kitchen right near the front door; needless to say laundry is a big part of every day and the washer is going at least 1/2 the time I'm awake
-bedrooms are clustered together, this would be really nice since the kids get scared with their rooms being on the opposite side of the house from the master
-less closet space and no garage, does have a storage shed in the backyard; I'm not sure where bikes and things would go but the indoor climate controlled storage areas would serve our storage needs that we currently use our closets for
-two living areas, it would be nice to have more living space so our living room won't be so cluttered but I like how much time we spend together now because there is only one living space; I'm not sure if the extra living area would end up like a playroom and get messy
-the rent on the house they offered is much less than we pay now and includes utilities and landscaping/mowing; it would be a $500/month difference which appeals to my frugal side but I don't want that to be the deciding factor; we would have to pay $700 for painting and cleaning of our current house, a couple hundred for a moving truck and supplies, another couple hundred to hire people to help move furniture since I won't be able to lift much of anything, and who knows how much for random expenses like curtains and paint
-the kitchen in the offered house is much smaller, looking at the floor plan I'm not sure I'll have anywhere near enough counter space

One last thing: the house would be available sometime around March 1st so we would have to move with a 1-3 week old baby. DH will not be able to take leave during the month of March then he'll be gone later on in the month for several months, that could get really stressful on me if we can't find anyone to come down and help out.

Our current house, the square footage is skewed because they're counting the little patch of concrete off the back of the house as a porch and the unfinished garage is counted as well, the square footage of the living space is 1640:

The offered house, the square footage is also skewed because this particular house has a finished off carport that functions as a second living room, the square footage of the living space is about 1800:

Thank you for reading all that!
Wife to my Air Force husband and SAHM to DD 9/04, DS 12/05, DS 3/09, DD 9/10, DD 2/12, and DS 9/13
Sponsored Links

bree View Drop Down
P'infamous
P'infamous

Member Rating(17)

P'insane

Perennial Pinner
4 years 75 days

Post Options Post Options   Quote bree Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jan 2012 at 1:04pm
I'm going to look at the floor plans later when Logan's napping but my first thought it - how long before you'll be up for a PCS again? that would be my deciding factor. We're moving next week into a house that is one of the older remodled houses. So basically like this one you have an option to move into. It's a 4bdrm, no garage, storage shed outside, street parking (don't get me started on that!). Seems like what you're describing but I can't say for sure because I don't know our floor plan other than two bedrooms are on the main floor and two are upstairs which sucks to me :P

We're hoping that after a year we can get on the list for a bigger/better/new house. The only reason we'd do it is because we know we'll be there for at least 4 years unless DH gets his WOCS application accepted (he plans to put it in next year).  Most times they give you a week to move from one house to the next. When we were in AK, we had to move to the other side of base and DH was deployed. So I would get off work and load the car up and move everything I could in the evening. Since the Army was making us move, they paid for the movers, but it was easier for me to load xyz from one part of the house and put it directly into the other house. Basically all I had them move was the big stuff. Do you guys have friends there w/ a truck that could help you move the furniture? Could you have your mom or MIL come help? My MIL came to help us move when Logan was 3 weeks old and we had to move. It was a lifesaver.

So all of that to say - if you're going to be there at least another year or two, I'd move. The extra space would really come in handy, especially w/ 5 kids. Have you thought about seeing how much it would cost to hire a moving company? I looked into it when we were moving from LA to PA and sometimes you can just hire the people to load/unload everything. Like, you pack all the boxes and they'll do all the labor. 
Bectoria View Drop Down
Pincorporated
Pincorporated

Member Rating(10)

Perennial Pinner
9 years 54 days

Post Options Post Options   Quote Bectoria Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jan 2012 at 1:14pm
laundry room in your kitchen...shudder.  it's so hard doing laundry when there's nowhere to hide it.  The small kitchen sounds like a bad idea....I have a small kitchen and it stinks.  So so stinks. 

How long will you have to live in either place, potentially?  'cause that's a huge consideration, IMO. 

5 kids in 2 bedrooms is a tight fit, but I know it's possible (Jenny/keepitsimple has 10 kids in 3 rooms, I do believe).
Becky
SAHM to DD1 (9), DD2 (7), and DD3 (3)
catadese View Drop Down
Pincorporated
Pincorporated

Member Rating(5)

Perennial Pinner
9 years 185 days

Post Options Post Options   Quote catadese Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jan 2012 at 1:17pm
I've got 6 kids in 2 bedrooms, so it's doable, but yeah, the time factor would be the biggie for me.

And the moving-really, you'd have to hire people to help you move?  Don't you have friends, or people in DH's shop who would help out?
Mama to 9- 6 boys and 3 girls
bree View Drop Down
P'infamous
P'infamous

Member Rating(17)

P'insane

Perennial Pinner
4 years 75 days

Post Options Post Options   Quote bree Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jan 2012 at 1:28pm
Your second link won't open for me...
elus0814 View Drop Down
P'incredible
P'incredible

Member Rating(3)

Perennial Pinner
5 years 77 days

Post Options Post Options   Quote elus0814 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jan 2012 at 1:41pm
Originally posted by bree bree wrote:

Your second link won't open for me...

hmmmmmm, it seems to be working ok

here it is again:

We would be in the house for about two years but we never know, it could be four years or it could be six months. 

I think we would hire people to move the furniture and heavy items. I don't feel right about putting out friends and asking them to spend an entire day helping us move, we did it once before and felt terrible about it.
Wife to my Air Force husband and SAHM to DD 9/04, DS 12/05, DS 3/09, DD 9/10, DD 2/12, and DS 9/13
bree View Drop Down
P'infamous
P'infamous

Member Rating(17)

P'insane

Perennial Pinner
4 years 75 days

Post Options Post Options   Quote bree Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jan 2012 at 2:02pm
It's probably just my computer being stupid.

My aunt moved to IN for a new job a few years back and my uncle found some guys to unload everything once there. It only cost them a couple hundred bucks.

When we were moving from LA, our friends helped DH load everything up and we just provided the pizza and beer :P 

If it'll be *probably* two years then I'd move for sure.
ambrose View Drop Down
P'invisible
P'invisible

Post Options Post Options   Quote ambrose Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jan 2012 at 2:39pm
Originally posted by elus0814 elus0814 wrote:

One last thing: the house would be available sometime around March 1st so we would have to move with a 1-3 week old baby. DH will not be able to take leave during the month of March then he'll be gone later on in the month for several months, that could get really stressful on me if we can't find anyone to come down and help out.

for me that would be the dealbreaker. Though you're probably more experienced/less stressed by moving, having done it so much.
mommy2five0406070911 View Drop Down
P'infatuated
P'infatuated

Post Options Post Options   Quote mommy2five0406070911 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jan 2012 at 2:47pm

I like the house that you are being offered.  I like the thought of being closer to the kids bedrooms.  I know the laundry room next to the kitchen isn't ideal but thats how my house is too and I make do.  I think I would use the finished carport as a play area if thats possible.  Our house is pretty big.  We built it in 2008 and its 5 bedrooms and 2 1/2 baths and somedays I look around and wish we wouldn't have chosen to get such a big house because it equals to much more clutter and more cleaning.  I think I would feel the need to pitch more and condense if we had less space.  Goodluck on choosing I'm sure thats got to be racking your brain right now.

Jenn wife to Jamie 5/05 & Mommy of Kai (8),Zay (6),Liv(4),Brady (3),Max (9 months)& 2 dogs and 7 puppies, 5 bunnies, 48 chickens, and 16 ducks!   to,488px)div
bree View Drop Down
P'infamous
P'infamous

Member Rating(17)

P'insane

Perennial Pinner
4 years 75 days

Post Options Post Options   Quote bree Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jan 2012 at 3:46pm
Oh! Our laundry room now is right off the kitchen as well and I make do. It's nice to be able to have laundry going all day and still be able to keep up w/ it w/out having to worry about what the kids are doing, etc. I never have laundry in the kitchen because there's enough room in there for my hamper and I have one of those laundry sorters w/ three compartments. 1 is for kitchen cloth, 1 for the boys cloths, one for our clothes. I usually never wash colors/darks/whites seperate. lol I'm not that domestic ;)
elus0814 View Drop Down
P'incredible
P'incredible

Member Rating(3)

Perennial Pinner
5 years 77 days

Post Options Post Options   Quote elus0814 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jan 2012 at 5:02pm
Originally posted by bree bree wrote:

I usually never wash colors/darks/whites seperate. lol I'm not that domestic ;)

I don't either. I only separate colors if the clothes are brand new but after the first wash with like colors it all goes in together. 
gpsinma View Drop Down
P'incredible
P'incredible

Member Rating(1)

Perennial Pinner
5 years 287 days

Post Options Post Options   Quote gpsinma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jan 2012 at 5:40pm
Hmm  that kitchen doesn't actually look that small.  could you add some standalone cabinet/counter unit from ikea? could you install a fold-down tabletop over the laundry as a work area? the extra bedroom might be worth it!
gps
DD1 1/94, DD2 2/99, DD3 4/00
DS1 9-11-08, DS2 3-4-10
Sarah2106 View Drop Down
P'inspector
P'inspector

Member Rating(18)

P'insane

Perennial Pinner
5 years 330 days

Post Options Post Options   Quote Sarah2106 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jan 2012 at 6:02pm
I would not like the kitchen in the new house because it is away form everyone. I like to be around everyone (the kids included) while making meals or in the kitchen. I like to be part of the activities.

Also the way the door enters into the kitchen, right where the laundry is, could be pain because you could never have anything on the ground at any time. My parents house the garage enters into the mudroom (right off the kitchen) and the laundry is right there. Can't tell you how many times someone tripped coming in or out on a laundry pile or just ran into each other in the process.

The extra bedroom would be nice, but I like the floor plan of the house you are in right now, at least on paper.
Wife & Mom to my amazing 3

"The mother's heart is the child's schoolroom."
elus0814 View Drop Down
P'incredible
P'incredible

Member Rating(3)

Perennial Pinner
5 years 77 days

Post Options Post Options   Quote elus0814 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jan 2012 at 6:46pm
So DH and I talked it over. We drove by the other house so he could see it. I called the housing office back to get some more information on when exactly we could move and how long we would have. She spoke with the current resident again and by the time they clear out, the house is cleaned and painted, and they replace the carpets and do other maintenance it would be March 10th at the earliest. We would have five days to make the move (March 12th to the 18th). We don't think we could do the move with a less than month old baby, four other little kids, and DH heading out the door within 10 days. It would be too stressful on the two of us and we're worried it would be too much change for the kids. I'm going to have to call them back in the morning to let them know. 

She did say on the phone that they have moved up to the top of their priority list (something they said last summer they were not willing to do) so we have first dibs on any four bedroom houses that come up. They're anticipating the next one to come up sometime this summer. This house was the smallest four bedroom layout so any other house would be larger. It'll be difficult to move without DH home but because so many people in our families work in schools or have vacation time during the summer there would be a great chance one of them would be able to come down and help. The baby will be staying in the master bedroom for at least the first 6-8 months anyway so hopefully we won't have to try and cram three into either of the kids rooms.

Thank you all for the advice, the pin is such a great sounding board for these last minute big decisions that come up!

This is the house that's supposed to be coming up this summer, it's in our neighborhood and I'm drooling over it:

Edited by elus0814 - 17 Jan 2012 at 6:58pm
mom4moju View Drop Down
P'insightful
P'insightful

Member Rating(9)

Perennial Pinner
5 years 141 days

Post Options Post Options   Quote mom4moju Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jan 2012 at 9:17pm
WOW!  Hold out for the one this summer!! 
Christina, wife to Monty (Jul 06), Mom to T (Apr 09) and C (Jun 11)
erinchelsea View Drop Down
P'intense
P'intense

Member Rating(13)

P'insane

Perennial Pinner
6 years 19 days

Post Options Post Options   Quote erinchelsea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jan 2012 at 9:32pm
Ooooh, that last house is perfect! The new baby would be fine staying in your room till this summer, I'd definitely hold out for that one. No WAY could I move in 5 days, I would have a panic attack about that!
Erin, happy wife of Jason (7/21/07) and mama to Abram (3/09) and Adrie (6/11)
bree View Drop Down
P'infamous
P'infamous

Member Rating(17)

P'insane

Perennial Pinner
4 years 75 days

Post Options Post Options   Quote bree Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jan 2012 at 10:43pm
Wait til summer for sure. Babe will be older and a bit less needy. It'll be easier. That house is fabulous. It's a lot like what we were trying to hold out for at our new base. But we didn't have time to wait anylonger. The only difference is that all the bedrooms were upstairs. I LOVE the aspect of having a livingroom and family room. I want a space for us to all hang out as a family but also a place for the boys to play and all the school stuff to be. An office is a huge bonus! The house we were waiting for had built-in desks/shelving, which was awesome for us. However, we got the shaft! lol  Summer move for you for sure!
mamma22boys View Drop Down
P'invaluable
P'invaluable

Member Rating(31)

P'insane

Perennial Pinner
3 years 256 days

Post Options Post Options   Quote mamma22boys Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jan 2012 at 11:00pm
Wow. really like that last one.  I would definalty wait too.
Emily Wife to Jake
Mom to Joseph 2/07 & Jordan 5/09 and 1 little girl Audrey 9/12
Probably NAK-- so please excuse the typos.
 Post Reply Post Reply