Forum Home Forum Home - Diaper Discussions - Introduction to Cloth Diapering
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Forum Posting Policy | Forum Codes | Our Advertisers | Sales & Announcements | Member Groups | P'insane Leaderboard | Contact Admin

Moderator: txmom
Remember to Support our Advertisers!

Diaper Reviews | Cloth diaper calculator | Diaper Articles | Books * DVDs * CDs * etc

Help withHomemade Pockets and Covers

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
another1coming View Drop Down
Just Pinned
Just Pinned

Post Options Post Options   Quote another1coming Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Help withHomemade Pockets and Covers
    Posted: 17 Jan 2012 at 3:33am
I searched for size help but didn't really get the help I think I need. So I apologize profusely if I am just repeating another post...
I am making my own pockets and covers. I have the material down and can sew some elastic!!! LOL I made my own pattern and seems no matter how I alter it with each try, I just can't get the fit right. My pockets are hard to stuff (not enough space for my hand as well as the "stuff". They also seem VERY bulky-poor baby's butt is in the air when I try to lay her on it. While it looks silly, it can't be comfy!! Cry   On the fleece wrap I made today, it seems the rise is good but I guess I don't know how to get the prefold to stay down inside. I bought premium size prefolds based on the recommendation of the diaper service I purchased from (baby is 18 lbs) but I have a good 2-4 inches of overhang that won't stay tucked in without really being troublesome whether I try having the extra in front or back. I want the poor child to be comfy and I really want to get the hang of this because I plan to CD the next little one coming in May as well.
   I would print a pattern I see online but have no printer...

So, I need help figuring out a normal size for a pocket diaper-mine seem huge but obviously they are too small (they sure look good tho! Tongue ) AND how in the world do I get the prefold to behave inside a cover?

Thanks all!!

Sponsored Links

Clare_S View Drop Down
P'incredible
P'incredible

Member Rating(46)

P'insane

Perennial Pinner
3 years 273 days

Post Options Post Options   Quote Clare_S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jan 2012 at 9:02am
Hi, Welcome!

I could be wrong, but I think they sell some pocket patterns somewhere online. It may be worth it to check it out? Rosa (littlehands) may know more and maybe she'll chime in here. I can't offer any other advice because I know nothing about this topic!
Happily married to Nathan and mama to DD (5), DS (3), DS2 (5/14)
mamma22boys View Drop Down
P'infamous
P'infamous

Member Rating(42)

P'insane

Perennial Pinner
4 years 131 days

Post Options Post Options   Quote mamma22boys Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jan 2012 at 10:33am
I know nothing about making diapers but I would suggest posting in the creative corner.  There are lots of mammas that have made diapers and you will probalby get more help.

Good luck and welcome to the pin.
Emily Wife to Jake
Mom to Joseph 2/07 & Jordan 5/09 and 1 little girl Audrey 9/12
Probably NAK-- so please excuse the typos.
littlehands View Drop Down
P'invisible
P'invisible

Post Options Post Options   Quote littlehands Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jan 2012 at 11:28am
There are TONS of good pocket patterns out there. It is certainly worth the price to pay a bit to save yourself the trouble of trial and error. Even if you ultimately want something more customized, it makes sense to grab at least one pattern so you have a visual reference of where to start.

Rocket Bottoms makes a good basic pocket. (Not the Twist; that ones not really for beginners.) I also use and like the Very Baby and Nykki pockets- they are one-size options.

Because of the stuffing ease, pockets do need a wider crotch than some other styles. Any pattern that has enough width, however, can be adjusted to a pocket style if you understand the basic construction techniques needed.
Rosa, Mom to Six- 15 to 2 years, + a newbie coming in Aug!
I sew and am a freelance writer. PM me! Find me a href="http://hyenacart.com/stores/PinsandNeedles/" target="_blank" rel="nofollow">Pins and Needles
mom4moju View Drop Down
P'invisible
P'invisible

Post Options Post Options   Quote mom4moju Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jan 2012 at 2:07pm

RE Fleece cover.  Can you fold the pf down or, since you have a girl, I would try to fold in quarters the long way.  KWIM?

Christina, wife to Monty (Jul 06), Mom to T (Apr 09) and C (jun 11)
another1coming View Drop Down
Just Pinned
Just Pinned

Post Options Post Options   Quote another1coming Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jan 2012 at 2:43pm
So I figured out how to fold the PF...Thanks for the help! Now, as for the suggestion to post in the creative corner-how do I do that? I don't see anything with that title...?
mommy2five0406070911 View Drop Down
P'infatuated
P'infatuated

Post Options Post Options   Quote mommy2five0406070911 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jan 2012 at 2:51pm
I've checked out tons of patterns online for these and covers and very baby is the one I keep coming back to over and over.  So glad to know that someone else recommends them too. Thanks Rosa!
Jenn wife to Jamie 5/05 & Mommy of Kai (8),Zay (6),Liv(4),Brady (3),Max (9 months)& 2 dogs and 7 puppies, 5 bunnies, 48 chickens, and 16 ducks!   to,488px)div
musicmama View Drop Down
P'inspector
P'inspector

Member Rating(11)

Perennial Pinner
6 years 310 days

Post Options Post Options   Quote musicmama Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jan 2012 at 4:27pm
Welcome to the 'pin!  This is creative corner.  Can you see it?  I've done a bunch of diaper/trainer sewing here and there.  It's definitely more than 1/2 the battle when you can use a tried and true pattern.

Christine
DS1-G (1/06), DS2-D (1/08), DS3-S (4-10) giada md
P'invisible
P'invisible

Post Options Post Options   Quote littlehands Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jan 2012 at 12:57pm
Very Baby isn't "new and exciting," but they really are the workhorse of diaper pattern brands. I play around with a lot of different patterns, but this brand has been my go-to for covers and fitteds for YEARS.

My top favs are:

1. Very Baby
2. Rocket Bottoms
3. Trimsies
4. Darling Diapers Deluxe

I think all but the Very Baby are downloadable/e-patterns.
I sew and am a freelance writer. PM me! Find me a href="http://hyenacart.com/stores/PinsandNeedles/" target="_blank" rel="nofollow">Pins and Needles
3boysMom View Drop Down
P'invisible
P'invisible

Post Options Post Options   Quote 3boysMom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jan 2012 at 2:15pm
I agree with Rosa. I've worked with the Very Baby pattern and the Darling Diapers pattern and been happy with the results. I flipped through the Babyville book you can get at Joann's and it seemed decent for a beginner.
Samantha, Captain of Chaos at Turk & Bean
P'invisible
P'invisible

Post Options Post Options   Quote littlehands Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jan 2012 at 12:34am
I have the Babyville book and do like it, but it didn't sneak into the Top 4- not quite. I've used it for covers and like it almost as much as the Very Baby. I've done AI2s, and they were pretty good. I like other pockets better.

Some of the variations they suggest in the instruction book are odd, I think, but the pattern itself is sound.
 Post Reply Post Reply