Forum Home Forum Home - P'interests and Hobbies - Home and Hearth
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Forum Posting Policy | Forum Codes | Our Advertisers | Sales & Announcements | Member Groups | P'insane Leaderboard | Contact Admin

Moderator: eightcowwife | Starfish03 | taowensf | txmom | musicmama | sunnymom | Sarah2106 | umbribyz
Remember to Support our Advertisers!

Diaper Reviews | Cloth diaper calculator | Diaper Articles | Shop for Home and Hearth books

Visit Motivated Moms for a
printable chore planning system. Have a clean and organized home and still have time for yourself!

Kid's clothes purging help!

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Clare_S View Drop Down
P'incredible
P'incredible

Member Rating(46)

Perennial Pinner
3 years 154 days

Post Options Post Options   Quote Clare_S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Kid's clothes purging help!
    Posted: 16 Jan 2012 at 12:55pm
I am generally not the hoarding type, but when it comes to kid's clothes I just seem to have a very hard time getting rid of them. I can easily get rid of clothes I don't like or are uncomfortable for them, but I feel the need to keep everything else "just in case" It is driving me crazy. I am out of hangars (and I had a TON) and out of storage space. Their clothes, DD's especially, end up in baskets in their room because it is so overwhelming to put them away. We have been given so many clothes and they are taking over the house!

My wardrobe is very simple, too simple really (since all my good clothes are pre-children, but that is a different story). I wish their's could be, too. Like 10 outfits for summer and 10 for winter or something. What is your method for keeping/purging your kid's clothes? What is your method for clothes that have been outgrown but need to be saved for future kids? Thanks for the help!
Happily married to Nathan and mama to DD (5), DS (3), DS2 (5/14)
Sponsored Links

mamma22boys View Drop Down
P'invaluable
P'invaluable

Member Rating(40)

P'insane

Perennial Pinner
4 years 12 days

Post Options Post Options   Quote mamma22boys Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jan 2012 at 1:17pm
I have tubs in the basement labeled by size/season.  I only keep the clothes that I liked and would want to pass onto future kids.   I have actually gotten rid of almost all the clothes Jordan has outgrown except for jeans/pants.  But it took me about two years to get rid of the baby clothes.  I decided that after 2+ kids (friends used too) that if we had another baby I could easily start over since I get their clothes cheap from CL and garage sales.

Joseph has a good amount of clothes,  about 2 weeks worth but Jordan has way to many.  He gets the handme downs from Jospeh plus new stuff from birthdays/Christmas and I have boughten him a few things since the seasons didn't match up.  I really need to pare his down some though.
Emily Wife to Jake
Mom to Joseph 2/07 & Jordan 5/09 and 1 little girl Audrey 9/12
Probably NAK-- so please excuse the typos.
mommyjessica View Drop Down
P'integral
P'integral

Member Rating(23)

P'insane

Perennial Pinner
7 years 6 days

Post Options Post Options   Quote mommyjessica Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jan 2012 at 11:58pm
i can't seem to keep the girls' clothes to a minimum. i do try to evaluate regularly and keep them under control. i have found that i have to get rid of stuff when the mood strikes to pare down. otherwise i think i can't get rid of something for whatever reason. i realized the other day when i hadn't put laundry away for quite a while that there was stuff left over for a reason. they never wear it. of course, i have to keep it because, they might wear it sometime, you know Wink

the easiest way to do it is to get ALL of the laundry done and EVERYTHING put away. pick out your/ their favorite/ must keeps. then, decide what and how much you want to keep or store away or give away/ sell. you really just have to rip the bandaid off and get it over with.
Jessica- Wife to Jared, Mommy to Tiffany Eve- born gorgeous 12-31-07, Emily Jane- born lovely 5-10-10, Lucy Renee- born beautiful 10-3-12

Clare_S View Drop Down
P'incredible
P'incredible

Member Rating(46)

Perennial Pinner
3 years 154 days

Post Options Post Options   Quote Clare_S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jan 2012 at 9:49am
Originally posted by mommyjessica mommyjessica wrote:

]the easiest way to do it is to get ALL of the laundry done and EVERYTHING put away. pick out your/ their favorite/ must keeps. then, decide what and how much you want to keep or store away or give away/ sell. you really just have to rip the bandaid off and get it over with.

This would be very helpful. At least you can see everything all in one place and decide what you really need. Thanks for the suggestions. I think it is a matter of being in purging mode and realizing Sam really doesn't need 20 pairs of leggings....no matter how cute each one is!
moonangel12 View Drop Down
P'integral
P'integral

Member Rating(12)

P'insane

Perennial Pinner
6 years 137 days

Post Options Post Options   Quote moonangel12 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jan 2012 at 10:49am
It's definitely a mental hurdle to overcome. I am in the process of purging and simplifying our home and it.feels.great! The snowball is rolling and now that I have the momentum and can see the results slowly but surely it's getting much easier. We just hauled a FULL suburban load to the salvation army and probably 90% of it was kids stuff... mostly clothes with some toys and other things. The sad thing is that not even all of it fit, and I still have more to go through. It's sad really. For my son since he's older I ask him what his favorites are and what he doesn't like and go from there. For ODD she has a total mind of her own with clothes so I just take out the stuff I personally don't like. She doesn't complain (I do it when they're not around), she just has fewer options to choose from. With YDD over time it becomes obvious what I like and don't like based on what gets used and what just sits in the drawer. It's tough getting rid of almost new clothes, but it's so much better once it's done to not have to deal with them! There's a pic of their drawers in my room set up thread. All their clothes fit in those tubs aside from a handful of items that are hung up in the closet. If the drawers get too full, it's time to purge. The top is for socks and undies, middle for shirts, and bottom for well, bottoms. DS's clothes are next on the list b/c his drawers won't close if everything is in them.

Renee
Wife to KJC ~ 6/25/05
SAHM to JJC (ODS) ~ 8/06/07, MEC (ODD) ~ 5/06/09, LGC (YDD) ~ 4/14/11, DAC (YDS) ~ 12/31/12!!
moonangel12 View Drop Down
P'integral
P'integral

Member Rating(12)

P'insane

Perennial Pinner
6 years 137 days

Post Options Post Options   Quote moonangel12 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jan 2012 at 10:54am
Oh, and for the sentimental/favorite clothes I have them set aside for a future tshirt quilt. Just one or two things per child per stage. 

Renee
Wife to KJC ~ 6/25/05
SAHM to JJC (ODS) ~ 8/06/07, MEC (ODD) ~ 5/06/09, LGC (YDD) ~ 4/14/11, DAC (YDS) ~ 12/31/12!!
mrscakes View Drop Down
P'invisible
P'invisible

Post Options Post Options   Quote mrscakes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jan 2012 at 10:59am

the easiest way to do it is to get ALL of the laundry done and EVERYTHING put away. pick out your/ their favorite/ must keeps. then, decide what and how much you want to keep or store away or give away/ sell. you really just have to rip the bandaid off and get it over with.

I'm just getting ready to do this!  Both boys have a bunch of clothes in their drawers that don't fit and are taking up too much room  I get everything clean and then make piles on the bed: still fits, outgrown and keeping, outgrown and goodwill, etc.  Z's outgrown stuff goes in bins in the garage until D grows into them (sorted by size, but really not perfect ).  Since we're done everything that D has outgrown but is still in good shape is getting passed on to a friend.  My boys have always had way too much since we got so many hand-me-downs from cousins, which I'm super grateful for, but it can be hard not to be overwhelmed by clothes!
northwind View Drop Down
P'integral
P'integral

Member Rating(18)

Perennial Pinner
6 years 108 days

Post Options Post Options   Quote northwind Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jan 2012 at 5:04pm

i can't seem to keep the girls' clothes to a minimum. i do try to evaluate regularly and keep them under control. i have found that i have to get rid of stuff when the mood strikes to pare down. otherwise i think i can't get rid of something for whatever reason. i realized the other day when i hadn't put laundry away for quite a while that there was stuff left over for a reason. they never wear it. of course, i have to keep it because, they might wear it sometime, you know Wink

Ugh, that's my logic too!!!!  I'm a total hoarder of kids' clothes.  What if #3 is a girl?  What if a future child is a stripper, then the snap-crotch jumpsuit in a 2T might be necessary! What about when my siblings have kids?  Or, maybe I should just save them all and then when I open my fantasy children's consignment shop, I will have a fully stocked shop and be the most profitable consignor on day 1! LOL

That being said, I have a very large attic, and the philosophy which has been proven time and time again, that "it is cheaper to store than to replace".   I can't tell you how many times I have said "Now where is that xyz that would be super helpful right now? Oh yea, I gave it away".  And my 9 totes of kids' clothes in the attic have proven helpful many times, even/especially the larger-size handmedowns that I'm hanging on to.  We had a friend's 5 yo pee his pants at our house - they were 2 hours from home and understandably, they don't pack spare clothes for him.  He had to wear girls' clothes, but at least he had *something* to wear while we washed his peed clothes!Thumbs Up
Katie
Mama to Sylvia (5.5), Penelope (4),and Rosalie (1.5)k
musicmama View Drop Down
P'inspector
P'inspector

Member Rating(12)

Perennial Pinner
6 years 191 days

Post Options Post Options   Quote musicmama Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jan 2012 at 12:18am
Once I get rid of all the stained ones, and the ones that I never liked in the first place (hand-me-downs from SIL, mostly), it doesn't seem like all that much!  I have about two lg. space bags for each size-one for cold weather, and one for warm weather.  I think 24mo/2T is a little out of hand, but the rest are just enough.  'Course, we aren't planning on another, so as soon as it's too small for S, it is out the door.
Christine
DS1-G (1/06), DS2-D (1/08), DS3-S (4-10) giada md
Nuttygirl View Drop Down
P'incredible
P'incredible

Member Rating(14)

Perennial Pinner
6 years 182 days

Post Options Post Options   Quote Nuttygirl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jan 2012 at 3:22am
Originally posted by musicmama musicmama wrote:

Once I get rid of all the stained ones, and the ones that I never liked in the first place (hand-me-downs from SIL, mostly), it doesn't seem like all that much!  I have about two lg. space bags for each size-one for cold weather, and one for warm weather.  I think 24mo/2T is a little out of hand, but the rest are just enough.  'Course, we aren't planning on another, so as soon as it's too small for S, it is out the door.
What is it with this size?  I have so many 24mo/2T clothes for both boys and girls and everything else seems okay. I mean I have more than I need but the 2T size is crazy.  I have 2 weeks worth of pajamas for boys and more like 3 weeks in shirts plus a few one piece outfits.
Mom to DS1 1/06, DD1 3/08, DS2 10/10, and DD2 7/13 I need some kids to test a few pattern sizes on and also willing to trade for sewing jobs. PM me if interested.
minneapolismama View Drop Down
P'invaluable
P'invaluable

Member Rating(5)

Perennial Pinner
7 years 96 days

Post Options Post Options   Quote minneapolismama Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jan 2012 at 9:21am
we get rid of stained, give away generic or those we don't love and save our favorites and best quality things. I store them in the huge plastic tubs and have one in each closet- when it's full, I put it in the basement labeled (boys clothes 2-4T). I also have a tub in each closet for clothes that are given to us and too big or that we bought for the next year on clearance. that way I have plenty of room to hang and fold the clothes they wear now. 
Katie, mama to Alexander 2-8-07 and Maggie Rose 5-3-10 giada md
mommyjessica View Drop Down
P'integral
P'integral

Member Rating(23)

P'insane

Perennial Pinner
7 years 6 days

Post Options Post Options   Quote mommyjessica Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jan 2012 at 1:17pm
our 2T and 24 mo stuff is out of control too. whats up with that? are the clothes just significantly bigger in that size than smaller sizes??? i don't know.

i use space bags too. i don't like the method but it is what i am using at the moment. i label each bag with the size and if i have spill over, i separate into season. once we get to size 24 mo- 2 T  i have to use two large space bags. i guess that is the size tiffany was in the longest. i have a full stash of summer and winter. i will know what to get rid of once emily reaches that size. i doubt it will be this summer and by next summer she might outgrow everything. sigh.
Jessica- Wife to Jared, Mommy to Tiffany Eve- born gorgeous 12-31-07, Emily Jane- born lovely 5-10-10, Lucy Renee- born beautiful 10-3-12

northwind View Drop Down
P'integral
P'integral

Member Rating(18)

Perennial Pinner
6 years 108 days

Post Options Post Options   Quote northwind Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jan 2012 at 9:14pm
I think we just get a different view of 2T/24mo because that's the first size that they actually go a full year in, so you actually need seasons.  Think about it - 0-3, 3-6, 6-9. 9-12, 12-18, 18mo, 24mo/2T.  So realistically most of our kids were in summer clothes for 12mo, then winter for 18 (or vice versa) and in 2T they need both. Thumbs Up

That being said I had kids on opposite seasons, so I have a seasonal tub for everything over 12 mo. Pinch
Katie
Mama to Sylvia (5.5), Penelope (4),and Rosalie (1.5)k
yausers_2005 View Drop Down
P'invisible
P'invisible

Post Options Post Options   Quote yausers_2005 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jan 2012 at 3:03pm
I'm going to be purging our kids clothes soon (along with everything else in our house) out of necessity b/c we're moving to germany this summer.  i'm in the process of figuring out how many of each thing is realistic.  still don't really know, though . . .

but, since we're done having kids, i finally gave away all of my baby clothes and it felt awesome!!!  about 7 boxes of stuff in total - ridiculous!  my mom took a bunch (long story), and then i posted the rest on CL for free.  a very happy mom came and picked them up, along with some other random baby stuff.  anyhow, getting a little OT now, sorry. 
Anna

Mommy to Austin (July '07) and Silas (January '10)! giada
Clare_S View Drop Down
P'incredible
P'incredible

Member Rating(46)

Perennial Pinner
3 years 154 days

Post Options Post Options   Quote Clare_S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jan 2012 at 3:29pm
Anna, I have the same issue. How many of each thing to keep? Ugh, piles of clothes are still hanging around. I need some major motivation to get through it. That, and a clue of what I want to do. We're also moving soon, so I need to sort and space bag them. I have newborn-18 months in space bags already, but the 2T-3T clothing is out of control!
 Post Reply Post Reply