Forum Home Forum Home - Diaper Discussions - Bubble Bubble Toil & Trouble
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Forum Posting Policy | Forum Codes | Our Advertisers | Sales & Announcements | Member Groups | P'insane Leaderboard | Contact Admin

Moderator: musicmama
Remember to Support our Advertisers!

Diaper Reviews | Cloth diaper calculator | Diaper Articles | Books * DVDs * CDs * etc

Very hard well water

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
honeybee1999 View Drop Down
P'invisible
P'invisible

Post Options Post Options   Quote honeybee1999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Very hard well water
    Posted: 15 Jan 2012 at 1:50pm
My diapers just aren't getting as clean as I'd like them to. I was using All Free and Clear until recently when I realized my pocket diapers were getting build-up and starting to leak. So I switched to Allen's Naturally powder and am using 1 scoop in my top-loader, but I think because my water is so hard it just isn't doing a good enough job. I can still smell ick on my diapers after washing them. So my question is, should I try increasing the amount of detergent I use? Or should I try using a water softening additive from the grocery store? Or should I try a detergent meant for hard water (I am considering Rockin Green Hard Rock)? 
Sponsored Links

horseymama View Drop Down
P'insightful
P'insightful

Member Rating(16)

Perennial Pinner
5 years 174 days

Post Options Post Options   Quote horseymama Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jan 2012 at 2:25pm
I also have really hard well water and the only thing that both got our diapers clean and didn't irritate my DD (she has super sensitive skin) was Vaska unscented. She's PLed now but I still use it on her clothes.

I tried Tide, Tide F&C, Purex, several other "conventional" detergents, Rockin Green and Crunchy Clean in their hard water formulas and Lil' Outlaws. I think that's everything, there may have been a couple more. Tongue The Rockin Green and Crunchy Clean each worked okay for a little while but were never wonderful and I don't think either one got my dipes super clean as they started having bad stink after awhile. But Vaska worked great for almost 2 whole years is still working great on her clothes!
musicmama View Drop Down
P'inspector
P'inspector

Member Rating(12)

Perennial Pinner
6 years 219 days

Post Options Post Options   Quote musicmama Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jan 2012 at 11:27pm
I have super hard water too.  You might want to try adding Calgon when you do your det. wash.  Also, I find RLR works well to strip minerals.  If your water has a basic/alkaline pH, you can try some vinegar as well.  I use that in my final cycle.
Christine
DS1-G (1/06), DS2-D (1/08), DS3-S (4-10) giada md
erinchelsea View Drop Down
P'intense
P'intense

Member Rating(37)

P'insane

Perennial Pinner
6 years 168 days

Post Options Post Options   Quote erinchelsea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jan 2012 at 11:38am
IMO it's tough to do pockets (anything with synthetic fibers) in hard water. I had trouble with All F&C even with city water. No way could I use it with our well water. I'd try something else.
Erin, happy wife of Jason (7/21/07) and mama to Abram (3/09) and Adrie (6/11)
horseymama View Drop Down
P'insightful
P'insightful

Member Rating(16)

Perennial Pinner
5 years 174 days

Post Options Post Options   Quote horseymama Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jan 2012 at 12:50pm
Oh yes, ITA about the mf pocket inserts in hard water, I should have said that before. I used pocket shells for out and about diapers with DD and didn't have problems with them, but I stuffed them with flats, not with the inserts that came with them.
musicmama View Drop Down
P'inspector
P'inspector

Member Rating(12)

Perennial Pinner
6 years 219 days

Post Options Post Options   Quote musicmama Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jan 2012 at 2:45pm
Yeah, I use pockets all the time w/ no problems.  I stuff w/ flats though.
Christine
DS1-G (1/06), DS2-D (1/08), DS3-S (4-10) giada md
mommyjessica View Drop Down
P'integral
P'integral

Member Rating(23)

P'insane

Perennial Pinner
7 years 35 days

Post Options Post Options   Quote mommyjessica Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jan 2012 at 3:50pm

we have that kind of water too. i use thirsties prewash and superwash. i generally end up washing at least three times. cold w/ pre wash, hot with super and an extra cold soak or wash. i use mostly flats but also some mf. i do have to add bleach on occasion. probably every third wash or so. i doubt i would need it with flats only. also, a good soak w/ super iron out helps. i have done it twice in a year and a half i guess. i also use calgon sometimes.

it is a battle for sure. i hope you find what works for you.
Jessica- Wife to Jared, Mommy to Tiffany Eve- born gorgeous 12-31-07, Emily Jane- born lovely 5-10-10, Lucy Renee- born beautiful 10-3-12

honeybee1999 View Drop Down
P'invisible
P'invisible

Post Options Post Options   Quote honeybee1999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jan 2012 at 4:22pm
We're hoping to move in a couple of months and we'll be back on city water, so hopefully that will help then. In the meantime I'm going to try adding calgon, or maybe stop using the microfiber and try stuffing my pockets with prefolds and see if that helps. My prefolds always come out clean...it's definitely the microfiber that stinks. Thanks, all!
erinchelsea View Drop Down
P'intense
P'intense

Member Rating(37)

P'insane

Perennial Pinner
6 years 168 days

Post Options Post Options   Quote erinchelsea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jan 2012 at 4:32pm
sounds like a good plan!
Erin, happy wife of Jason (7/21/07) and mama to Abram (3/09) and Adrie (6/11)
 Post Reply Post Reply