Forum Home Forum Home - P'interests and Hobbies - Home and Hearth
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Forum Posting Policy | Forum Codes | Our Advertisers | Sales & Announcements | Member Groups | P'insane Leaderboard | Contact Admin

Moderator: eightcowwife | taowensf | txmom | musicmama | sunnymom | Sarah2106 | umbribyz
Remember to Support our Advertisers!

Diaper Reviews | Cloth diaper calculator | Diaper Articles | Shop for Home and Hearth books

Visit Motivated Moms for a
printable chore planning system. Have a clean and organized home and still have time for yourself!

cold rooms

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
elus0814 View Drop Down
P'incredible
P'incredible

Member Rating(5)

Perennial Pinner
5 years 172 days

Post Options Post Options   Quote elus0814 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: cold rooms
    Posted: 14 Jan 2012 at 10:51pm
Winter finally arrived here in central Georgia LOL It's been getting down around 30 overnight.

In our house the bedrooms get so cold at night. The boy's room is the worst, I put a thermometer in there and it was 61º in the morning. The other two bedrooms aren't much warmer. All of us wake up freezing, even with the doors open to help the heat move. The thermostat is in the living room, no matter how high we set it the bedrooms are still cold. We've been setting it to 75º at night but we've tried it as high as 80º, in the morning we run the a/c for a little while to cool the main part of the house back down. The bedrooms warm up during the day from the sun beating down on the dark roof. I called the maintenance people to see if they had any suggestions and they said it's a common complaint of people in this floor plan and there isn't really anything they can do about it. We had the opposite problem in the summer, the bedrooms were hot while the rest of the house was cooled by the air conditioner. 

I've been thinking of putting space heaters in the bedrooms but I'm really nervous about it, same with fans at the doors to blow the warm air in the hallways into the rooms. Is there anything else to do?
Wife to my Air Force husband and SAHM to DD 9/04, DS 12/05, DS 3/09, DD 9/10, DD 2/12, and DS 9/13
Sponsored Links

erinchelsea View Drop Down
P'intense
P'intense

Member Rating(38)

Perennial Pinner
6 years 114 days

Post Options Post Options   Quote erinchelsea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jan 2012 at 10:57pm
There are some safer space heaters nowdays. we have them in the kids rooms. Upstairs where DS sleeps is so cold I don't know how he can stand it but he likes cool weather thank goodness. We also put plastic on the windows, not sure if that would help or not. when the cold air is coming through the roof there's not much you can do.
Erin, happy wife of Jason (7/21/07) and mama to Abram (3/09) and Adrie (6/11)
fancyoats View Drop Down
P'invisible
P'invisible

Member Rating(1)

Perennial Pinner
7 years 85 days

Post Options Post Options   Quote fancyoats Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jan 2012 at 11:26pm
we have the same problem.  the upstairs bedrooms are SO cold, roberta's feet are like little icicles when i go to her in the night, i usually end up staying up there with her to keep her warm with my own body heat.  i'm considering electric blankets, but i wonder whether they are safe to use in a kid's bed?
Ariana, mama to Amy (6) and Roberta (almost 3)
Dec1st View Drop Down
P'incredible
P'incredible

Post Options Post Options   Quote Dec1st Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jan 2012 at 12:22am
I don't know if this helps, but you can double stuff your duvet covers.  We use a thinner one in the summer and a thick one in the winter and both during the three weeks of -40 or -50 we get every January/February.  A little extra down goes a long way.  Up here in the frozen north, our house always gets down to at least 18C (64F) at night.  Warm PJ and extra blankets generally get us through.  I am not ashamed to admidt that I occasionally wear socks to bed.

On the other hand... there are some nice ceramic heaters out there that would be safe for kids rooms.  Some come with a built in thermostat so you can set them to keep the room at however warm you like.
Erin B: mom to Ellie (Nov 2008), Stepmom to C (1997) and V (1996), wife to an amazing man

My Blog
Dec1st View Drop Down
P'incredible
P'incredible

Post Options Post Options   Quote Dec1st Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jan 2012 at 12:23am
Originally posted by erinchelsea erinchelsea wrote:

There are some safer space heaters nowdays. we have them in the kids rooms. Upstairs where DS sleeps is so cold I don't know how he can stand it but he likes cool weather thank goodness. We also put plastic on the windows, not sure if that would help or not. when the cold air is coming through the roof there's not much you can do.
Insulation in the attic helps ALOT.
Erin B: mom to Ellie (Nov 2008), Stepmom to C (1997) and V (1996), wife to an amazing man

My Blog
mrscakes View Drop Down
P'invisible
P'invisible

Post Options Post Options   Quote mrscakes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jan 2012 at 12:24am
I'd definitely consider getting some space heaters. Like Erin said there are safe ones for kids' rooms - not hot to the touch, turn off if they get knocked over or covered. We keep it pretty chillyin our house overnight, but that just sounds way too cold for comfort!
elus0814 View Drop Down
P'incredible
P'incredible

Member Rating(5)

Perennial Pinner
5 years 172 days

Post Options Post Options   Quote elus0814 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jan 2012 at 12:39am
Thanks erin, putting plastic on the windows never crossed my mind but I bet it would help. The big problem with the house is that it was built by whomever put in the lowest bid to the air force so they quality isn't very good. The less than fantastic workmanship plus the warm climate mean insulation is probably seriously lacking.

Where do you get safe space heaters? Is there a particular brand to look for?
Wife to my Air Force husband and SAHM to DD 9/04, DS 12/05, DS 3/09, DD 9/10, DD 2/12, and DS 9/13
Dec1st View Drop Down
P'incredible
P'incredible

Post Options Post Options   Quote Dec1st Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jan 2012 at 12:55am

My Blog
ambrose View Drop Down
P'invisible
P'invisible

Post Options Post Options   Quote ambrose Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jan 2012 at 1:05am
We had issues with uneven temps on upper and lower floors. When the furnance/AC guy was fixing something else I mentioned the issue and he put a "scoop" in around where the air comes out of the furnance. he said it't basically just a curved piece of metal, nothing fancy, but does something to improve the way the air moves (i'm sure you would have a better grasp of such principles than i do!).

Anyhow, I know you've gotta go through the maintenance guys, but maybe you could convince them to look into that.
cowboyswife View Drop Down
P'invisible
P'invisible

Post Options Post Options   Quote cowboyswife Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jan 2012 at 1:20am
I guess I'm no help... We set our thermostat to 55 overnight on purpose... Each of our bedrooms has a built in supplementary heater, so we use that to warm up dds room if needed because the upstairs gets much colder than the main floor where the thermostat is... We use warm Jammie's and our bed has a double stuffed duvet.
~Heather
Wife to T and Mommy to two on earth and two in heaven.
Using my "spare" time to do a little sewing - www.facebook.com/createdbycowgirl http://www.cowgirlscreations.ca
litlmslana View Drop Down
P'insightful
P'insightful

Post Options Post Options   Quote litlmslana Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jan 2012 at 9:17am
Could you angle fans to blow the warm air from the main room into the bedrooms?
Lana

Mama to R (9/07)paydnd giada md
mamma22boys View Drop Down
P'invaluable
P'invaluable

Member Rating(40)

P'insane

Perennial Pinner
3 years 351 days

Post Options Post Options   Quote mamma22boys Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jan 2012 at 11:24am

Can you close the vents in the living room area so the heat doesn't go in there.  that is what we do and it helps.  Plus fleece jammies and sockes ans blankets.  We keep our heat at 65 degrees in the winter.

Or i would do a safe little heater.  My parents have a small one for thier basement bathroom that is freezing.  It is only about 10 in square and works great. 
Emily Wife to Jake
Mom to Joseph 2/07 & Jordan 5/09 and 1 little girl Audrey 9/12
Probably NAK-- so please excuse the typos.
erinchelsea View Drop Down
P'intense
P'intense

Member Rating(38)

Perennial Pinner
6 years 114 days

Post Options Post Options   Quote erinchelsea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jan 2012 at 2:39pm
Originally posted by elus0814 elus0814 wrote:

Thanks erin, putting plastic on the windows never crossed my mind but I bet it would help. The big problem with the house is that it was built by whomever put in the lowest bid to the air force so they quality isn't very good. The less than fantastic workmanship plus the warm climate mean insulation is probably seriously lacking.

Where do you get safe space heaters? Is there a particular brand to look for?
This is what we have and I like it. You can set it to a certain temp (I do 72 degrees for DD, 65 for DS) and it maintains that temp in the room. Or you can just run it on high or low. On high it gets actually hot in the room. We got it at the local home improvement store.

Erin, happy wife of Jason (7/21/07) and mama to Abram (3/09) and Adrie (6/11)
J2 View Drop Down
P'integral
P'integral

Member Rating(11)

Perennial Pinner
3 years 349 days

Post Options Post Options   Quote J2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jan 2012 at 5:15pm
i use a sealed oil/etectric heater in our room. it is great, not hot to touch and has multiple adjustments. we got it about 6 yrs ago and its a fantastic purchase.
Jenn

There’s a big difference between Knowledge & Wisdom. Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in fruit salad.
3boysMom View Drop Down
P'invisible
P'invisible

Post Options Post Options   Quote 3boysMom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jan 2012 at 5:16pm
Is it forced air or floorboard? Our old house was like that and really not much we could do other than covering windows and covering cracks in doors. OTOH we keep our thermostat at 65, so chilly is subjective. Our current house ahs two rooms not connected to the heater, so they're always colder and I make sure to shut the doors to them at night, so we're not trying to heat them and then took the time to figure out how the air is running through so I could cover vents and divert the air where I need it to be stronger.
Samantha, Captain of Chaos at Turk & Bean
bree View Drop Down
P'infamous
P'infamous

Member Rating(41)

Perennial Pinner
4 years 166 days

Post Options Post Options   Quote bree Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jan 2012 at 6:25pm
We have the opposite issue, lol. The downstairs is always cold! Our ceilings are like 9-10ft high and all the heat just goes straight upstairs. Also the insulation thing, yeah, none. I can feel the cold coming in through the outlets and windows. Love this military housing! ha. My friend sealed all her windows w/ plastic. Got the things to put in the outlets to insulate them. It has helped a lot. She keeps her thermostat on 68-70, whereas mine is on 75. If we weren't moving, I'd have done the same as her, and I probably will in the new house once we get there in two weeks.

My parent's have this little heater-fan type thing. We keep it in the boys room at their house because that room is *so* cold. It doesn't get hot to the touch either.
elus0814 View Drop Down
P'incredible
P'incredible

Member Rating(5)

Perennial Pinner
5 years 172 days

Post Options Post Options   Quote elus0814 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jan 2012 at 6:31pm
I'm not sure what the heat is called but there is an electronic thermostat in the living room, a gas furnace in the garage, and each room/hallway/walk in closet/bathroom has 1-2 vents in the ceiling that blow hot air in the winter and cold air in the summer. 

Last night we tried leaving all the ceiling fans on and cranked the heat up to 78 for an hour before we went to bed. It was uncomfortably tropical in the living room and kitchen but the bedrooms were slightly warmer. It didn't get that cold last night so we'll try it again on a colder night. I think we're going to try and tough it out for the next two months or so until the weather starts to get hot (there are many 80º+ days here in late March) then see if I can pick up some heaters for next winter on clearance. 
Nuttygirl View Drop Down
P'incredible
P'incredible

Member Rating(14)

Perennial Pinner
6 years 150 days

Post Options Post Options   Quote Nuttygirl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jan 2012 at 8:29pm
We keep our whole house on 65 all day long so 61 at night when you can have lots of blankets on doesn't sound that bad.  I would probably just get a space heater for the rooms with kids that don't keep blankets on really well and have them wear warmer pajamas to bed.  But we are used to the chillier house temp and go around in short sleeves and barefeet on our vinyl floors with the 65 temp during the day.  When my mil was here this weekend she kept trying to get my kids in jackets and socks inside because she thought it was too cold.  LOL

Oh and if you can put plastic on the windows or maybe some heavier curtains that should help too.  When we moved into our current home it had really thin old glass windows that the cold air just blew through.  We replaced the windows and don't get the cold air blowing in anymore and the kids rooms stay much warmer.  So if you can do anything to help stop cold air from seeping through the glass windows as it is prone to do that should really help.
Mom to DS1 1/06, DD1 3/08, DS2 10/10, and DD2 7/13 I need some kids to test a few pattern sizes on and also willing to trade for sewing jobs. PM me if interested.
krisperry View Drop Down
P'invisible
P'invisible

Post Options Post Options   Quote krisperry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jan 2012 at 8:41pm
Heated mattress pad.  My kids love them.  They are safe.  We routinely sleep in 50 degree bedrooms.

ETA:  It makes a huge difference to have the heat underneath you( rather than above you with an electric blanket).  I've slept on one year round for years.  It helps me with my muscles.  

Edited by krisperry - 15 Jan 2012 at 8:46pm
Kris, mom to 6

"Mom, say mad backwards" Isaac, age 7, said with a devilish grin

Jaimeis View Drop Down
P'invisible
P'invisible

Post Options Post Options   Quote Jaimeis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jan 2012 at 12:25pm
Originally posted by krisperry krisperry wrote:

Heated mattress pad.  My kids love them.  They are safe.  We routinely sleep in 50 degree bedrooms.

ETA:  It makes a huge difference to have the heat underneath you( rather than above you with an electric blanket).  I've slept on one year round for years.  It helps me with my muscles.  

I didn't know such a thing existed!  Sounds wonderful!
Jaime, wife to my beloved Andrew (3/06), mommy to Liam Nathanael(8/07) and Elijah Gideon (12/09)

My Family Blog
 Post Reply Post Reply