Forum Home Forum Home - P'interests and Hobbies - Home and Hearth
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Forum Posting Policy | Forum Codes | Our Advertisers | Sales & Announcements | Member Groups | P'insane Leaderboard | Contact Admin

Moderator: eightcowwife | taowensf | txmom | musicmama | Sarah2106 | umbribyz
Remember to Support our Advertisers!

Diaper Reviews | Cloth diaper calculator | Diaper Articles | Shop for Home and Hearth books

Visit Motivated Moms for a
printable chore planning system. Have a clean and organized home and still have time for yourself!

Motivation

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
cowboyswife View Drop Down
P'invisible
P'invisible

Post Options Post Options   Quote cowboyswife Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Motivation
    Posted: 13 Jan 2012 at 12:43pm
I've been thinking a lot about routine and how I want to implement something for this year, since I'm not a very routine person :P  I'll be going on mat leave the 3rd week of February, and I want to start somewhere, I've looked at motivated moms and fly lady, which one do you ladies like best?  Is there any other "system" that I should consider?  I'm much more of a creator than a cleaner, so I need to implement some discipline in the cleaning area of my life!  Any hints or opinions would be great!!
~Heather
Wife to T and Mommy to two on earth and two in heaven.
Using my "spare" time to do a little sewing - www.facebook.com/createdbycowgirl http://www.cowgirlscreations.ca
Sponsored Links

mom4moju View Drop Down
P'invisible
P'invisible

Post Options Post Options   Quote mom4moju Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jan 2012 at 2:25pm
Oh, man, that sounds like me!  I tried Fly lady, but couldn't get in the groove of it.  I would read her emails every morning and that was about as far as I got. 

DH and I have a chore chart.  Our deadline for the week is Sunday night.  It is short and we have lots of stuff that gets done every other week.  I think that is the beauty of our system, it's not too long.  Like I clean bathrooms, and we have 3.  2 shower/baths and a powder room.  I clean the powder room every week, and alternate weeks on the other bathrooms.  It's nice to have a short list, because the biggest job around here is putting stuff away and keeping the clutter down.  It's easy to sweep up if everything is put away, kwim?

We also have a roomba (one of those robot sweepers).  We run it every night or every other night in the kitchen and main play space.  We start it as the last thing we do at night and it sweeps up  all the daily grubs on the floor.  It forces me to pick stuff up at night also.    

A tip I have is look around and see where clutter/stuff piles up.  Its a good clue that those are the areas that don't have enough storage, or the proper size storage.  We always had a pile of stuff in the kitchen, until I reorganized and got a bigger drawer to put all the stuff I use everyday in.  In the evening I can sort quickly through the stuff on the counter, garbage anything that needs to go and put all the other things in the drawer (like computers, computer chargers, flyers that I want to keep).   
Christina, wife to Monty (Jul 06), Mom to T (Apr 09) and C (jun 11)
litlmslana View Drop Down
P'invisible
P'invisible

Post Options Post Options   Quote litlmslana Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jan 2012 at 2:55pm
No real system, but I've found it motivates me to have a list.  I keep a small notebook and start a new page everyday.  Spend a bit of time thinking about what I could realistically get done that day and make the list.  It feels good to cross stuff off and then if I finish I feel ok about sitting down to read or watch tv.  I would sit down and do those things anyway just feel better about it if I have a list showing that I did something first.  If something doesn't get crossed off, I move it to the next days list.  Eventually I get it done.  Not sure if this would help anyone else...

I should mention that I tried both fly lady and motivated moms in the past.  Fly lady was way too overwhelming for me.  Motivated moms is better but I always get off track and then just mentally beat myself up about it.
Lana
moonangel12 View Drop Down
P'invaluable
P'invaluable

Member Rating(12)

P'insane

Perennial Pinner
6 years 232 days

Post Options Post Options   Quote moonangel12 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jan 2012 at 5:00pm
I tried and failed miserably with Fly Lady. I think it sounds great in theory, but it was totally overwhelming for me. I have used Motivated Moms off and on the past 3 years I think? I got into a really good routine before ODD was born, then it all fell apart and I have struggled every since... I started it back again this year and have tried to change my thinking with it. Like Lana mentioned, it's easy to beat yourself up over not getting it all done. Before, I would do the same thing. Now I focus on the daily stuff, then pick and choose the weekly stuff. I don't necessarily do it on the day it is supposed to be done (I have the weekly printouts), and I don't usually get it all done, but I find what I think should be top priority (or what's the quickest and easiest Tongue) and start there. Like this week I am supposed to change the master bed sheets, but b/c I just did that recently b/c DS had an accident in our bed, I'm skipping it. No biggie. I am actually reusing mine from last year and ignoring the dates. I just reprinted them and go by the day of the week instead. I feel a little guilty doing that though so I think if I get into a good routine and keep it up I'll buy the current year. I just don't want to "waste" the money like I have the last couple years if I can't get into a routine.

ETA: There are some other options out there, I actually found a neat seller on Etsy that has home management print outs and she has a checklist, but it looked like the same thing repeated every day which would bore me to tears. I like the specificness (is that a word?) of MM to keep me focused... not just "clean the bedroom" KWIM?

Edited by moonangel12 - 13 Jan 2012 at 5:02pm

Renee
Wife to KJC ~ 6/25/05
SAHM to JJC (ODS) ~ 8/06/07, MEC (ODD) ~ 5/06/09, LGC (YDD) ~ 4/14/11, DAC (YDS) ~ 12/31/12!!
bayspumpkin View Drop Down
P'invisible
P'invisible

Post Options Post Options   Quote bayspumpkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jan 2012 at 5:08pm
I like motivated moms best.  Although, I haven't been very motivated to use it lately.
Candice: Teacher mom to 4
erinchelsea View Drop Down
P'intense
P'intense

Member Rating(34)

Perennial Pinner
6 years 235 days

Post Options Post Options   Quote erinchelsea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jan 2012 at 6:48pm
I made my own chart. I can maybe post it if you want. I tried flylady for awhile and it's a good starting point but not exactly what I wanted. I wanted to tailor my list for our own home.
Erin, happy wife of Jason (7/21/07) and mama to Abram (3/09) and Adrie (6/11)
J2 View Drop Down
P'integral
P'integral

Member Rating(11)

Perennial Pinner
4 years 105 days

Post Options Post Options   Quote J2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jan 2012 at 11:10pm
i need something too. its crazy how it all creeps up on you.
Jenn

There’s a big difference between Knowledge & Wisdom. Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in fruit salad.
cowboyswife View Drop Down
P'invisible
P'invisible

Post Options Post Options   Quote cowboyswife Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jan 2012 at 4:04pm
I printed out a month of motivate moms yesterday and I like the idea of it, so well see how it goes...I need Something to keep me focused rather than just looking around and seeing 50 things that need to be done!
~Heather
Wife to T and Mommy to two on earth and two in heaven.
Using my "spare" time to do a little sewing - www.facebook.com/createdbycowgirl http://www.cowgirlscreations.ca
musicmama View Drop Down
P'inspector
P'inspector

Member Rating(11)

Perennial Pinner
6 years 285 days

Post Options Post Options   Quote musicmama Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jan 2012 at 7:27pm
I was looking at MM, but would love to have something electronic, that I could even put on my phone (Droid).  I should look at the apps.

If I don't find something, I'll have to try something myself.  I did read a great book about planning your time & getting organized.  She says that you should think about time in several ways.  The tasks for today, this week, this month, and even this year.  A repeat is nice too (every other week is for organizing the laundry area, for example).  That way, if you don't get to it, it comes back again.  Plus, you can move on the the next day w/ a clean slate & no guilt.  I guess it's like the other programs, but you generate it yourself.

I'm thinking about this, and putting together my plan.  I had one years ago that was really successful, but pregnancy has a way of messing that stuff up!
Christine
DS1-G (1/06), DS2-D (1/08), DS3-S (4-10) giada md
moonangel12 View Drop Down
P'invaluable
P'invaluable

Member Rating(12)

P'insane

Perennial Pinner
6 years 232 days

Post Options Post Options   Quote moonangel12 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jan 2012 at 8:21pm
Originally posted by musicmama musicmama wrote:

I was looking at MM, but would love to have something electronic, that I could even put on my phone (Droid).  I should look at the apps.

If I don't find something, I'll have to try something myself.  I did read a great book about planning your time & getting organized.  She says that you should think about time in several ways.  The tasks for today, this week, this month, and even this year.  A repeat is nice too (every other week is for organizing the laundry area, for example).  That way, if you don't get to it, it comes back again.  Plus, you can move on the the next day w/ a clean slate & no guilt.  I guess it's like the other programs, but you generate it yourself.

I'm thinking about this, and putting together my plan.  I had one years ago that was really successful, but pregnancy has a way of messing that stuff up!

I would love to make one tailored to my wants and needs, but it seems so overwhelming! If you get a good plan together, can you post some tips? I really like MMs for the specifics, but there are some things that I don't really need on there so it would be nice to be able to add and take away as needed.

Renee
Wife to KJC ~ 6/25/05
SAHM to JJC (ODS) ~ 8/06/07, MEC (ODD) ~ 5/06/09, LGC (YDD) ~ 4/14/11, DAC (YDS) ~ 12/31/12!!
musicmama View Drop Down
P'inspector
P'inspector

Member Rating(11)

Perennial Pinner
6 years 285 days

Post Options Post Options   Quote musicmama Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jan 2012 at 11:44pm
I'm trying to get my ideas down.  I think it will take a while to get the schedule together!  The big challenges are
-getting the tasks listed
-scheduling the tasks by frequency
-setting up some kind of auto-doc calendar

I have an old Palm calendar that I love, but it has nothing to interface with, and I'd like to streamline across all our electronics.  Plus, I want to move toward a chore schedule for the LOs in the near future.  Maybe I should be less ambitious, just so I can get started?
Christine
DS1-G (1/06), DS2-D (1/08), DS3-S (4-10) giada md
diaperpin-jen View Drop Down
P'invisible
P'invisible

Member Rating(6)

Perennial Pinner
14 years 192 days

Post Options Post Options   Quote diaperpin-jen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jan 2012 at 12:49am
I copied a sample of the motivated mom's to do list - we tried it this week and plan on using their format but customizing it....removing some items, adding others...moving an item from wednesday to monday etc......... We'll see how that goes...

Christine I'd love to see what you come up with..
Creator of the Pin and Proud mama of 2!

Check out our new blog - The Corner! iv class
 Post Reply Post Reply