Forum Home Forum Home - Diaper Discussions - Bubble Bubble Toil & Trouble
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Forum Posting Policy | Forum Codes | Our Advertisers | Sales & Announcements | Member Groups | P'insane Leaderboard | Contact Admin

Moderator: musicmama
Remember to Support our Advertisers!

Diaper Reviews | Cloth diaper calculator | Diaper Articles | Books * DVDs * CDs * etc

How many diapers in a FL load?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
minkeybuut View Drop Down
P'invisible
P'invisible

Post Options Post Options   Quote minkeybuut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: How many diapers in a FL load?
    Posted: 13 Jan 2012 at 1:46am
How many diapers do you wash in a load?  I have tried for two months to get clean diapers, but no matter what, they are still smelly.  I am wondering if I am washing too many at a time since I have two in diapers.  I usually wash every two days (hot cycle with bac-out, then hot with double rinse) in my front loader.  I am probably putting through 14 to 16 pocket diapers through at a time.  

Thanks!

Sponsored Links

elus0814 View Drop Down
P'incredible
P'incredible

Member Rating(5)

Perennial Pinner
5 years 207 days

Post Options Post Options   Quote elus0814 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jan 2012 at 9:14am
I have two in diapers and a front loader. I wash every 2-4 days, usually every 3. It is a bit of a challenge to get the diapers to come out without smelling. I need to use bac out in every pre-wash then do a wash with twice the recommended amount of detergent (allen's naturally) and a soak (it takes 1:40). Then I set it to the delicate cycle (which uses extra water) and do warm/warm/extra warm rinse cycles until there are no more bubbles. It usually takes 3-4 of these cycles, 9-12 water changes, to get all the bubbles out but once it's done there is no more smell. The other way I've done it is to use tide, when I use regular tide I only need one extra rinse. 

It might also have something to do with what you're washing. If your pocket diapers have synthetic inserts that might be part of the smell problem. It's difficult to get microfiber clean in any washer, let alone a front loader. I've found that I can only use cotton with some bamboo thrown in and I need to wash covers separately. I've had problem with smell when I have too many aios in the mix as well. If I use 100% easy to wash cotton, like flats, prefolds, or workhorse fitteds, then I have far fewer smell issues and only need a short wash routine.
Wife to my Air Force husband and SAHM to DD 9/04, DS 12/05, DS 3/09, DD 9/10, DD 2/12, and DS 9/13
Jaimeis View Drop Down
P'invisible
P'invisible

Post Options Post Options   Quote Jaimeis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jan 2012 at 1:52pm
I used to wash large loads with my LO's were both in dipes for year and realized I had to wash them more often.  Medium loads worked so much better for us (dozen diapers).  I also found using a wet towel and throwing it in with the laundry helped immensely as it draws more water into the machine (calculates water by weight). 

I switched my cold rinse cycle to a delicate cold rinse as the delicate cycle uses more water as well. 

These steps help with our stinkies around here ;)  Good luck.  Front loaders suck for diapers :(

Edited by Jaimeis - 13 Jan 2012 at 1:52pm
Jaime, wife to my beloved Andrew (3/06), mommy to Liam Nathanael(8/07) and Elijah Gideon (12/09)

My Family Blog
Esseltess View Drop Down
P'invisible
P'invisible

Post Options Post Options   Quote Esseltess Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jan 2012 at 3:05pm
You should be using your bacout in cold water as the hot water will kill the enzymes and it won't work.
I would suggest a cold rinse with bacout first - then the rest of your normal routine and see if that works.

I have an LG front loader and use microfiber and pockets - my routine looks like this:
Cold/cold rinse cycle (this uses the most water and where I would put bacout)
Hot/cold stain cycle wash (which includes a pre rinse and extra rinse after)
Warm/cold rinse cycle

I hope that helps!
DD 11/08, DS 01/11
minkeybuut View Drop Down
P'invisible
P'invisible

Post Options Post Options   Quote minkeybuut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jan 2012 at 11:31pm
Thank you very much!  I will try that.

Esseltess, when do you use detergent in your routine? All 3 steps? Only the middle?
Esseltess View Drop Down
P'invisible
P'invisible

Post Options Post Options   Quote Esseltess Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jan 2012 at 7:28pm
I usually just put detergent in the middle for the hot cycle but if I have a bunch of stinky poopy dipes I put a tsp. in with the cold rinse too!
DD 11/08, DS 01/11
 Post Reply Post Reply